Thread: Blank thread
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2004, 12:58 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Tate"]Considering how many references a fiver can make to another show, you may have to ask permission of five corporations or more for a single fiver. (note that I am no expert on copyright law, and have no idea about any of what I just said. I'm just guessing there'd be difficulties like that)[/quoteost_uid0]
I'm no legal expert either, especially not on Canadian law, but according to the US copyright law, 5MV doesn't need permission since it is a parody. That's why, though Paramount could theoretically shut down every fanfic site, it couldn't shut down 5MV.

[quoteost_uid0]I wouldn't be surprised if some authors of early Voy fivers are hard to track down now. If you assume that everyone included wants to get royalties, it could get difficult.[/quoteost_uid0]
This would be the harder part. Because it [iost_uid0]would[/iost_uid0] be necessary to get every author's permissions to publish their fivers in a different format. And as for royalties, it would be better to ask the writers to relinquish any rights they might have in that regard and just use the profit to improve the site.

[quoteost_uid0]Anyway, these are just some thoughts. I [iost_uid0]would[/iost_uid0] like to see a 5MV book, or any 5MV merchandise, for that matter.[/quoteost_uid0]
Yeah, 5MV shirts would be cool. So would 5MV flamethrowers!

Actually, if you're interested, you can probably make your own stuff. Back when I was in high school, some friends and I bought plain white shirts, went to Kinkos (I think) with some images off the net, and had them printed on to the shirts. You could probably do something similar, but technically you'd need Zeke's permission (though I doubt anyone would verify whether you had it or not).[/colorost_uid0]