View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 11:59 AM
You just activated his Trek card

November 8th, 1968, "For The World is Hollow And I Have Touched the Sky"

Fiver (by Nic)

Transcript
Memory Alpha

The Episode

Another episode with great character work and acting, but absolutely awful science and plot holes that could be fixed through dialogue without spending a cent.

* So one second the asteroid is blocking whatever's behind it, and the next minute Spock knows it's hollow? At least throw in a line about having to recalibrate the sensors to compensate for Macguffinite!

* Another episode where the Prime Directive is theoretically at its strictest, yet it's okay for our heroes to waltz in. We aren't even told that the natives were scanned from afar to confirm that they look human enough for our heroes to pass for natives. No disguise for Spock. No replication of native clothing. And if the outer asteroid is two hundred miles across, the inner core can't be all that big; the population must be small enough for everyone to know everyone. So even IF our heroes did all they could to look like natives, they'd still be identified as strangers. Merely beaming down is a Prime Directive violation!
* One wonders how many dead languages Spock has memorized. But here's the thing: how can the Federation know the language in the first place? They didn't know about the asteroid ships and the planet was destroyed ten thousand years ago! Did the Fabrini have allies who recorded the history and language for future generations, but neglected to mention the asteroid ships?

The Fiver

Uhura: Transmitting on all subspace frequencies -- "Position of Annoying Talking Human on Starship Enterprise now vacant. Medical skills would be appreciated."
Pulaski: (over the comm) You called?

Ha ha. She doesn't like transporters, but time machines are apparently okay? Also, it seems that Braxton runs a staffing agency in his spare time, routing job postings to the best candidates no matter where in time they may be, hehe...

Spock: Aw. I know what will cheer you up - our 56th weekly cup of tea!
McCoy: Thanks, Spock. (picks a cup)
Spock: Um, no. Here, this one is yours.

Is this a reference to something?

McCoy: Pink cylinders... Who built this thing? The Teletubbies?
Spock: It's a strong possibility.
Kirk: But I think a nuclear powered spaceship is beyond even them.
McCoy: True, true. Although they are very resourceful.
Kirk: An advanced, very dangerous species.

Another joke time capsule, wow.

Oracle: Oracle's Message of the Day #1 - Potatoes make you stupid.

Is this a reference to something?

Spock: It appears these people are completely unaware they live on a spaceship.
Natira: We do not live on a spaceship! Our world is a flat board held by a giant turtle.
Kirk: Suuure. And what holds the giant turtle?
Natira: Another giant turtle.
Spock: And what holds her?
Natira: You can't fool me! It's turtles, turtles, turtles, all the way down!

Traditionally the World Turtle has the Earth as a hemisphere sitting on four elephants standing on the turtle.

Old Man: It's difficult to grow food on a spaceship. We have dogs, though.
Spock: What did you say? You know about the spaceship?
Kirk: Make it a poodle. And get me some chili.

Is this an Enterprise joke?

Oracle: Oracle's Message of the Day #2 - Do not meddle in the affairs of the Oracle, for thou art crunchy and taste good with strawberry pie.

Why strawberry pie and not ketchup, as is traditional with this joke?

Oracle: Oracle's Message of the Day #3 - I could totally kick Microsoft's butt.

Another time capsule, and that's a pretty obscure geek joke to boot!

Kirk: To disable... the Oracle... logically convince it to self-destruct. Oh, how very original.
Spock: Just... do it!
Kirk: Um... um... Episode II: Attack of the Clones!
Oracle: NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Now there's high humor density. And prequel jokes will never get obscure!

Memory Alpha

* I never noticed the design of the reader tube, or even the term. I thought that when McCoy needed a handheld scanner, he used one of the futuristic salt shaker props.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.