Thread: Major Question
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Infinitely prolonged

Default Major Question

I’ve noticed a distinct lack of activity here over the last few days. In an effort to improve this situation, I’ve decided to ask a question that has been concerning me recently.

As background, I should mention that (God-willing) I’ll be graduating from my local community college next month with an Associate’s of Science Degree in Mathematics. This means that I’ll soon be applying for transfer to a four-year institution to continue my education and get a Bachelor’s Degree, and possibly a graduate degree after that (I would have had to apply already if I wanted to transfer this fall, but I’m planning on waiting for a little longer before transferring because there are a few more classes I want to take here).

The decision about where to transfer is a big enough source of anxiety by itself. But in addition (and possibly of more importance than that), I have to decide what to major in. Here I’m still undecided. While I have a few ideas about what I don’t want to study, what I should study is somewhat of a mystery to me. There are just so many options, it’s hard to pick just one (or two or three, in case I decide to have a double-major, or a minor, or something like that).

One option is Mathematics. I already have a pretty solid foundation in Math (as I mentioned above, I’m a Math major for my Associate’s Degree, and I got good grades in all the Math classes I’ve taken in college). However, I’m not sure how I’d do in upper-division Math courses, which I understand are a lot more abstract and rigorous than what I’m accustomed to. Besides Math, there are a lot of possibilities. I’m not quite sure which ones to explore.

So I thought I might as well ask the question here. I know there are a lot of smart people around here, many of whom are further along in their education than I. If anyone has any opinions, advice, sales pitches, or stories about your own college/career experiences, feel free to post them here. It might provide insight for me and others in a similar position. And it will hopefully inspire some much-needed discussion around here.

Candace: (gasp) The square root of 'soon' is 'never'!

The Doctor: It was all in the job title: Head of human resources.
Lance: This time, it's personnel.

To God be the glory. ><>