View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:15 PM
You just activated his Trek card

"It may be a sign of the decadence of modern life that I don't enjoy things as much without expensive production values, neat special effects and copious lens flares."

Yes, it is. Very much. All that stuff means absolutely nothing without a compelling plot and characters you can relate to.

Things like "CG is better than animation or traditional special effects", "big name stars are always better for any part", "action is better than talking", "sex is better than actual romance", and other such morals of the modern cinematic mentality really get my goat.

Just taking my collection of DVDs, ask me what's the most recent live-action movie that I own. X-Men 3. By any critical judgment, X-Men 3 is subpar, perhaps even horrible. But guess what? I'd watch it over any Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, or Indiana Jones movie any day of the week. I enjoy X-Men 3 because even though there are umpteen unnecessary characters shoehorned in, even though they spit in the face of comic canon, even though the plot is uneven at best, I ENJOY WATCHING IT. It's a fun movie.

"But despite all the problems with the movie, I love it! For me, this movie is the first time the original series crew and their world seems real and relatable for me."

I won't begrudge anyone their opinion, but I question your reasoning for saying that the original cast wasn't relatable.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.