View Single Post
Old 06-15-2005, 05:47 PM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

Hm. Let's see about that.

Luke annoyed me. Always has. Throughout the entire damn trilogy. Leia barely manages to rise above her mother as far as I'm concerned. (With the added penalty that Natalie Portman is much easier on the eyes, in my humble opinion.) I'll give you Han Solo, but Harrison Ford also happens to be one of my favourite actors. As for the baddies: Moff Tarkin is your basic "bad guy" cliche, as is the Emperor. The only one who had any menace in him was Darth Vader. The rest of 'em? Fuggetaboutit. (And don't start with Boba Fett, I to this day don't understand how the hell anyone can consider this guy to be a good villain.) C3PO was always a running joke, just like R2D2 has always been a rolling plot device. (Oh, and original Yoda versus the livelier, kickass prequel version? No competition.)

I suppose I can give you suspense, but honestly, I think that's more because of the fact that all three prequels were put under the microscope and dissected for months before they ever hit the screen. Nothing beyond the broadest plot points of the prequels is actually spoiled in the original trilogy.

More memorable scenes because it was new back then. The dialogue may have lost some innocence, but I don't think it got much worse. Lucas can't write dialogue, period.

I submit that many younger fans have seen the Special Edition, which has had some of the worse original SFX redone.

I'm not saying that I don't like the older movies, or that I think the prequels are better. But I don't think there's the big drop in quality everybody claims. The gungans were annoying? Good god, does anyone remember the ewoks? They got a freaking cartoon and two made-for-TV movies!

...maybe I really don't get it.

Gatac
- d02 Quotes