View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

I think the lack of placement of the NX-01 in the rec room in TMP can be easily explained by the fact that the movie was made several years before the NX-01 was developed for Enterprise.

No really, that's the explanation.

(We Whovians have learned that continuity must be approached flexibly. Of course, that doesn't stop the high-flying but fascinating conjectures, like Season 6(b), an entire series of unknown adventures that are requiured to explain how the Second Doctor turns up in later stories able to fly the TARDIS and with knowledge of events that occurred minutes before his apparent death.)

IMO, the only other possible explanation that can be inserted within canonicity is that some "Yesterday's Enterprise" style event changed history such that for a period of time in the 23rd century the NX-01 never existed. Time was healed, however, at some later point such that Riker and Troi were able to participate in the worst Trek series finale ever postulated by observing NX-01 related events. Now, go out there and write the fanfic novel that tells the story of the Time Wound that Killed the NX-01! (Knowing Archer and his bumbling around with time, he probably did it himself.)

OR... apply Occam's Razor and assume the hapless ensign who set up the displays in the rec room was asleep during the Starfleet History 101 class where they taked about Archer. (Decker doesn't explain this to V'ger/Ilia because, why complicate things?)

OR... maybe he was a descendant of the Xindi and this was his own little joke or a pointless act of petty revenge. I'll show that Archer, who's been dead for a century! I'll avoid putting up a placque to commemorate his ship!

OR... OR... OR... (it never ends, alas)

Last edited by Scooter; 09-11-2006 at 02:38 PM.