View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 12:13 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Default Cuter than these cats

(The thread title's a 5MV Forums in-joke. If you don't get it, it means I should really get on top of that member title thing.)

So my folks got a digital camera, and one of my brothers is having no end of fun with it. In particular, he took pictures of all four of our cats and sent them to me -- a gesture I really appreciated, since I miss those guys sorely. And what good are such pictures unshared?

Zeke's Cats

From top to bottom, and in chronological order of ownership, the cats are Dora, Tiger, Minnie, and Patches. Dora showed up on our doorstep the same day I was hit by a car. Mom saw this as a sign, and eventually we all agreed she should stay. (Dora, not Mom.) This was not without obstacles -- the main reason we'd never had a cat before was that Mom is allergic to them. But she found a medication that worked, and has had no allergy problems that I know of since.

Tiger and Minnie were impulse buys at the Humane Society, as I understand it. I wasn't there when they bought Tiger and I wasn't even in town when they bought Minnie. They're both more playful and active than Dora, who's grown pretty sedentary. Technically, Tiger's name is spelled with a Y (a reference to "Tyger, tyger, burning bright"), but that's a little over my "corny line," so I don't spell it that way.

Patches, our latest acquisition, was another doorstep cat. She started showing up on the back porch this summer (when I was back in Ottawa). She and the three cats in the house would stare at each other for hours; I have no idea what was in our cats' heads, but it was obvious that Patches wanted in. Her acceptance took the longest. Dad was dead-set at first that we were not going to have any more cats, and for a while we tried to find another owner for her, but there were no takers. (Patches didn't help -- she kept escaping the house, though she came back sooner each time.) In the end, of course, we all got attached and didn't want to give her up. She's still adjusting, but seems happy enough, and the other cats are slowly accepting her. There's still violence, but less.

Anyway, I love the pictures, even if Dora's a bit out of focus. But -- and I say this with affection -- she's never exactly been the sharpest cat in the litter.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction

Last edited by Zeke; 11-23-2007 at 06:17 AM.