Thread: NaNuPoMo
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 03:32 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Meant to answer this earlier, but I thought someone else might take a shot. There are actually four references, which I'll now spell out in needless detail.
  • High-school cheerleader: Cordelia in Buffy S3, "Lovers Walk". There's a funny bit where the camera pans over a funeral at first, then moves to Buffy and Willow discussing how Cordy's going to be fine. Joss actually has a really good defense for this one -- Charisma Carpenter survived something similar herself. It left her with a scar that they took the opportunity to explain in-universe.
  • Instant death from impalement: This is such a shocking moment I won't pin it down in case someone unspoiled is reading. Suffice to say the series is Firefly.
  • Strong guy catching someone: Avengers, Hulk "saving" Iron Man. It's the classic fallacy that you can fall any distance just fine as long as you hit something other than the ground. Thor could've done it safely since he can control his flight, but Hulk was just hurtling upward; his vertical momentum would've actually increased the damage to Iron Man.
  • Car thrown at head: Dr. Horrible. We don't see it happen, but there's a bruise on the Doc's face when he describes it. This one actually bothers me the least of the four, mostly because it's hilarious. (There's an even stupider fan theory that his goggles protected him.)

I didn't use Angel, but if I had, I'd probably have chosen "Apocalypse, Nowish", where Angel recovers within minutes from being stabbed in the neck and thrown off a building. (He needs to be in shape for witnessing something dramatic elsewhere.) Vampires have a healing factor, but it's not usually Claire-level.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction