View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 12:41 PM
You just activated his Trek card

November 15th, 1968, "The Tholian Web"

No fiver

Transcript
Memory Alpha

The Episode

* Once again, good character work, horrible science. Another pass through the script by a scientific advisor could've tweaked the language to be more consistent and accurate.
* I don't understand why Kirk told McCoy about the sealed orders, but not Spock. Furthermore, it hardly seemed like the time to watch the video. And why would Kirk assume that he would die during a crisis that would be continuing while the orders were watched?

* The Tholian Web is a great idea, too bad we don't really see it again. I do remember a cool screensaver of a web being made back in the Windows 95 days.

(Being reminded of that After Dark screensaver, enjoy some others: Spock and Horta, Tunneling Horta, Data dances)

Memory Alpha

* First appearance of the more traditional TOS spacesuit, replacing the ugly orange beekeeper suits from "The Naked Time." I still think they look ugly, but they reappear in other media.
* The only time Spock calls McCoy "Bones."
* The Defiant was not among the original list of starship names from the early series bibles.
* Kirk's funeral features the largest group of crewman in one place in the series.

* The Defiant crewmembers wear standard Enterprise mission patches (the Cochrane delta). When Enterprise revisits this episode the Defiant is given a unique mission patch.
* The mutiny in "This Side of Paradise" is mentioned as a contradiction to Spock's statement, along with Garth's crew. I'll forgive TSOP because of external influence, but Garth can only be explained by him not being on a Constitution-class ship and that being the definition of "starship" implied. A slippery slope to be sure.

Nitpickers Guide

* Spock clearly lied at the end of the episode, and it wasn't in the pursuit of his duties or while under alien influence either. Oops.
* Chekov seems in on the joke about Spock and McCoy "not" watching Kirk's orders, when he shouldn't know anything about it. Oops.
* Kirk is given a hypo through his spacesuit. Doesn't seem very durable against the vacuum of space, does it? You'd think they could've taken off a glove or built a special hypo port into the suit, right?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.