View Single Post
Old 11-03-2016, 11:55 AM
You just activated his Trek card

November 3rd, 1966, "Dagger of the Mind"

The Fiver (by Sa'ar Chasm)
Memory Alpha Page
Transcript

The episode:

* That whole "you can sneak onto a starship by being beamed inside a box" thing always annoyed me. The transporter sensors should've found him.
* I'm a little confused at the Kirk/Noel relationship. Regardless of who Kirk thought she was at the time, afterward she should've been reassigned. As has been noted in other episodes, a distracted Kirk is a less effective Kirk. And for a mission to an insane asylum, a distracted Kirk is a in-danger Kirk.
* No security guards for a mission to an insane asylum? No redshirts for the inmates to kill? Huh?
* Apparently I mingled this episode in my mind with "Whom Gods Destroy", I kept expecting Garth to show up.

The fiver:

McCoy: You keep your inmates in crates? What kind of sadistic beasts are you?
Tantalus Colony: It's merely an exercise in removing their socially unproductive habits and promoting a great social conformity.
Kirk: Are you trying to say that crated minds think alike?

That's a lot of psychobabble for a pun.

Van Gelder: No! Yes! Maybe!
McCoy: Indecisive, isn't he?
Van Gelder: Signs point to no! Ask again later! Results hazy at this time!

Ah, the Magic 8 Ball.

Kirk: Is this a dagger I see before me? Will all great Neptune's ocean wash this blood clean from my hands?

I had to look this up. I knew it was Shakespeare but didn't know it was MacBeth.

Kirk: And now Birnam Wood comes toward Dunsinane!

Sadly I knew that this one was MacBeth because of the Reduced Shakespeare Company.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.