Thread: Holy question
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 09:29 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt
It's funny, because I never really cared either way what people thought. Never bothered me. Some friends and family pointed out how there were...people who were less than tolerent of being Gay around, but I never really noticed it or if I did - care. Then I started to learn more about The whole Gay rights thing and a lot of points and areas with some religons clashed rather hard. And the more I think about it, the more it annoys me. The Christian Church and Islamic Council of Britain were very insistant on their views against Civil Partnerships.
I know Gatac, you don't mean any harm by what you're saying, and to be honest all the Feminism and Black Power stuff does start to grate on ( I mean, I'm not even sure what terms are ok to say anymore!) and god forbid I ever turn in to a person that becomes 'minority-centred', sidebar:
I read a letter that a guy wrote in to a magazine where he wanted all shops to chage the name of 'Faggots' (A type of Welsh food) because it's rude to Gay people. Thats just too, too far.
But the point is, I've never been a fan of Religon. I seen certain Religons really mess up two friends. Starting off on that base, I find myself, everyday, reading in Books, Newspapers, Internet, etc of different Religon's 'Problems' against not just myself but anyone who is different. How they oppose getting married, or speak out against how Gay people with corrupt others. And you know what I find that it annoys me. What I find amazing, is how Religon is still so...'protected', when it comes to a person with views and critisim, yet it's ok for a mainstream church it come out with the statments like they do against a whole group of people. And yes some people will say the statments shouldn't be misunderstood etc. But even the basic words they use, 'Sin', 'morally disordered'. I really don't need to be hearing these things about me. It's just not Cricket.
That is a product of our society's obsession with proving that religion is evil, which is, in itself, I think, a sign of insecurity about anything which takes a definite stand-point. I'm not sure why, but working things out to do with homo 'sapiens' is always nigh-on-impossible.

All right, yes, its a rather paranoid perspective, but in part its true. This country, and the US and most other places that were under British Rule at some point are and were virulently anti-Catholic, and developed all sorts of increasingly insidious propaganda against Catholics, which is all nonsense. Having researched many of the accusations laid against Catholicism, I've found few which have an actual grounding in fact. What we see now is simply the overlaying of this specifically anti-Catholic view onto the all religious beliefs. I think. An example of this is in regards to homosexuality, where the actual ethical beliefs have been misinterpreted by the mass media over such a long time that now many assume it to be true. In the case of Catholicism, if homosexuality in itself - the attraction of those of one sex to others of the same sex - was considered wrong, then why would the Pope have recently relaxed the rules on celibate gay priests?

Frankly, while I'm very sorry for your friends, religion is what you make of it, IMO. If you interpret the symbols the right way, God can want you to wage war, or eat spaghetti.
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!