Thread: Holy question
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

I seem to recall that a similar debate sunk the Abortion thread...so guys, please, settle down. You're not action heroes locked in a mortal struggle.

And I'd really like to debate this further. So here goes my part:

Regarding Christian acceptance of Homosexuality, this is a rather sad case of the people who make the most noise being heard. Yes, Christianity has its extremists, and they're shouting really loud. If there's something to lament here it's that the many decent Christians never seem to get on TV and say that all the "religious" guys on there are blatantly pandering to the extreme right wing. I don't know if the majority of Christians would come out to say that they outright support homosexuality, but I'm sure most of them do not actively care either way. Live and let live.

While I agree that homosexuality is how you're born (or become at a young age), the subculture does seem to gather what I've often seen in minorities, real or imagined: persecution complex. I'm not saying it happens to everyone, I'm not saying that gay people are perfectly safe everywhere, but alas, thou doth protest too much, occasionally. It's what made Feminism and Black Power nearly unbearable to me. At a certain point, drawing attention to your (legitimate) concerns becomes simply drawing attention to yourself. [If I was mean and cranky, I'd point out how insufferably stupid many ads these days portray caucasian males, as if empowering women requires that their husbands/boyfriends become idiots. I don't call this enlightened.]

Tolerance cuts both ways. You do what you want as long as you let me do what I want. Trying to cast criticism of your position as persecution of your perceived minority status is wrong.

Gatac
- d02 Quotes