View Single Post
Old 09-22-2006, 07:37 PM
You just activated his Trek card

Is there such a thing as "lousy Star Trek?" There are lousy episodes, lousy books, lousy scripts, lousy acting, etc, but if it's worthy of being called Trek, then by it's very nature it ain't lousy.

I love Peter David's work without question. That doesn't mean I think that the books can all be occuring in the standard Trek universe, that doesn't mean that I can't disparage certain concepts from it, etc.

Case in point: I never really got behind New Frontier. I own a few of the books, and I enjoy it, but it sort of falls into the same realm as TAS. When it's good, it's good, and when it's bad, it's bad, the same as anything else. I suppose my biggest quibble is the sudden appearance of these Thallonians (or whatever) as theoretically being a big enough galactic power to warrant a handful of ships and a starbase or whatever, but yet we've never heard of them. I suppose people will be quick to argue that that sort of thing is hardly new. Xindi, Remans, etc are all well and good, but I hate the implications. In TOS we were told outright: Federation, Klingons, Romulans are major players, Orions and Andorians less so. In TNG we suddenly have Ferengi and Cardassians as well: where'd they come from? DS9 is exempt because of the wormhole and so is VOY because ALL of the major players are of necessity new, but ENT brings up these Xindi. I suppose the implication is that the Xindi eventually joined the Federation, but where's the proof of that? Anyway, how big of a deal can these Thallonians really be if we're only sending two ships there? Isn't there other stuff we could be reading about? What about the Orion Syndicate? What about the real inner workings of the Ferengi Alliance? What's Spock up to? Will they ever just TELL us when Sulu, Chekov, and Uhura died?

PS: Any thoughts on Vulcan's Forge, Vulcan's Heart, Vulcan's Soul, etc?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.