View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Spritely

As far as Inuyasha's dubbing goes, as far as the translation it's pretty good as far as I can tell from also watching a good fansub. Most of the things that changed are acceptable given the challenges involved. But yes, Miroku's voice actor in particular isn't very good at the acting part. Look on the bright side, though; at least it got imported despite him and without censorship.

Censorship and dumbing down are the real enemies from what I've seen. Not only do censors butcher the themes of a story, the replacement stuff is usually poorly thought-out; I can think of several video games right off the top of my head whose censorship was handled very poorly (no, the women weren't "kidnapped" if they're still right there; no, a mere find-and-replace of "super beings" for "gods" and "wish" for "pray" in a game set in a fantasy world doesn't "protect" children from "pagan religions" and insults the intelligence of everyone 13 and up to boot).

As for dumbing down, that's even worse. I'm sorry, but just because something is going to be shown to children doesn't mean that you have to render everything into black and white so they can understand it. Compensating badly for cultural differences so minor that they shouldn't be touched falls into this category too (no, the girl who looks just like Horohoro is not his wife, she's his sister, and you didn't have to change that because "it wouldn't be seen that way"!).

OK, end rant. I need to take a shower. -- Pteryx