Thread: Global Warming
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 02:22 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi View Post
do you believe that this is a Real Thing, and that we have to get off of our fat asses and do something about it Right Now; or do you believe that it is just so much scaremongering by scientists and that so called global warming is nothing more than a naturally occuring process that would be happening if we were here or not?
Do we need to pick just one? I'm pretty split on the issue. On the one hand, the arguments that global warming is happening are obviously pretty strong, or they wouldn't have so many top scientists convinced. I think the counterarguments are too often written off, but in a way it doesn't matter. What's at issue is how much harm is being done -- no one claims that pumping tons of CO2 into the atmosphere is a good thing or that working to lessen the damage isn't a worthy goal.

On the other hand, there are very good reasons to think that measures like the Kyoto Accord are both unrealistic and unlikely to make a difference. That makes it hard to justify the economic cost. It isn't a black-and-white issue. And I don't like the scare tactics -- no matter who's right about this, and no matter what's done, we're not all going to drown the day after tomorrow.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction