Thread: Best music
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdgaf View Post
On that note, I wonder if I'm the only one bugged by what TNG did to TMP's theme. It was so grand and majestic and... quintissential Trek in the film. It just seemed hokey in the credits for TNG. Too sped up, too rushed. Nowhere near as powerful.
Yes and no.

I saw TMP in the theater when it was new, and was so underwhelmed by it that I never even thought about watching it again until years later, much less listened to the music. Similarly, I wasn't really aware that TNG had borrowed the same music for its theme until near the end of its initial run.

I did, however, grow very tired of hearing the TNG theme -- it's all surface, too splashy -- even the two-second stinger going to commercial made me grit my teeth after a while. In fairness, I think a good part of my reaction to it may have been the glut of John Williams Movie Music™ that had already been pervading the entertainment biz for nearly ten years when TNG premiered. Even stuff that John Williams never touched had to sound like it had his fingerprints all over it. It was everywhere -- you couldn't escape it -- and a lot of it wasn't very good. (I had a similar reaction to the early DS9 theme because of the self-consciously Copland-y overtones, another entertainment-biz schtick which had really been done to death during the same period.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi View Post
I must agree with Derek. The central theme wasn't the best part for me anyhow - that would have to be the stuff with V'Ger (just love that blaster!).
And remember who invented the instrument ('Blaster Beam') used during that sequence?

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Craig_Hundley

Edit (OT):

IJD, heard you had tornadoes in your general vicinity. Manage to stay out of the way all right?

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)

Last edited by mudshark; 02-02-2007 at 10:10 PM. Reason: tornado activity