Thread: Link Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 12:04 AM
You just activated his Trek card

In case you haven't watched the DS9 documentary "What We Left Behind" yet...

Salient points made in the documentary:

1. The viewers didn't swarm to DS9 like they did to TNG and VOY because it didn't have exploration. If anything I think DS9 had MORE exploration, it was just internal rather than external most of the time. I can't think of a Trek crew that changed more over their series' run.

Think about it. What "evolved" in TOS besides McCoy and Spock's relationship and opinions of each other? Episode to episode continuity just didn't happen back then. What you saw is what you got. Furthermore, how often did TNG actually "explore strange new worlds"? Was it even a quarter of episodes? No, they were doing the same character exploration that DS9 did!

2. The fans didn't like that DS9 was "darker", Star Trek isn't supposed to be "dark" (Oh, the irony in hindsight...) This ties back to my all-purpose argument whenever someone says that extreme changes "can't" be done. Of course it CAN be done, the question is how well.

On Stargate some thought that O'Neill WAS the show, and that the show should've been cancelled when Richard Dean Anderson left. They proved that SG-1 can happen without O'Neill. Alternatively, trying to do Joey without the rest of the Friends was ultimately a failed experiment because the character had to be modified so much that it wasn't the Joey that people liked anymore.

3. The studio didn't like the serializing of the show. It makes you wonder how Babylon 5 pulled it off. I've said it before, watching Babylon 5 made me feel like if I hadn't seen every single episode I would never understand what was going on, and therefore there was no point in watching it. SF Debris' reviews of B5 aren't altering that opinion. DS9 never made me feel that way. They were always very good about recapping what you needed to know.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.