View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 04:09 AM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings
Send a message via MSN to Burt

I'm not really a fan of the whole royal family idea (In the way that most people are not 'fans' of smallpox). They cost money, they get privilege they really do not deserve and there's probley a bit of jealousy thrown in too.
But the only thing I think they've got going is the whole adding 'Royal' to front of things.
We haven't got just a navy. We've got 'The Royal Navy'.
It's not the mail service. It's 'The Royal Mail'.
*Question in a question..... Its the Royal Navy and the Royal Airforce....why not the Royal Army?*
On the first question, I just though it was all down to the order of things. If there's a Queen and she marries, he can't be King cos he would outrank her, so he's a Prince. If there is a King, he can have a Queen.... she won't affect him. If the King gets run over by a bus or whatever, the oldest son or daughter becomes the reigning monarch, not the tart the king married. So there was no point in her driving that bus over him, she won't be the ruler.
We had:
Edward and George
Eddie was the oldest, but he sodded off to marry a American woman (She couldn't be queen cos she had been divorced - Simpson something)
So George was King. He had a wife Queen 'Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon' and two Daughters 'Elizabeth' and 'Margaret'. When he died, his wife ('Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon') became the 'Queen mother' as she couldn't be the ruler (Not special enough, you see). As the oldest, Elizabeth became our Queen. Or Queeny as she likes to be known.
Bit sucky though, eh? Just because you're born later, you never get to be King?
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
I don't think that metaphor was actually designed to warn cats.
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
-------------------------------------------------