View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings
Send a message via MSN to Burt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdgaf View Post
This is really two questions, as I see it. Each with different answers. So I'll answer each. I guess.

1) Which sci fi series has had the largest impact culturally?

Star Wars, without question. These movies transcend nerddom more than any other example of the genre. Sure, they're basically fantasy tales in space. But they're escapest fun that anyone can enjoy, and countless elements of the films have evolved into genuine pop culture icons. Nothing comes close. Not even Star Trek.

2) Which sci fi series has had the largest impact on the genre?

This question has different answers depending on your generational perspective. Verne's novels, Metropolis, Arthur C. Clarke novels, Doctor Who, Star Trek, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and The Matrix are all equally valid answers for different eras.
I'm meant in a more simple way. What Show/film/series do you think has moved/improved or added to the genre the most. Not so much the how much people enjoyed it.
For instance, many Sci-Fi shows and computer games now freely use the word Cloaking Device, as though it's a simple everyday term. That term however, was started by Star Trek.
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
I don't think that metaphor was actually designed to warn cats.
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
-------------------------------------------------