View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 10:43 PM
You just activated his Trek card

Another recap of recently revealed information.

What Discovery can learn from previous shows.

The lesson from NextGen was apparently "don't rely too heavily on previous continuity."

Rebuttal: Yes, but there's a BIG difference between "don't make watching a previous show required viewing, but don't conflict with it" and "totally ignore previous continuity." For example, we know what the uniforms and ships look like in this time period, and Discovery ain't it.

The lesson from DS9 was apparently "don't be afraid of interpersonal conflict."

Rebuttal: We'll see how they handle this one. Of course, to do interpersonal conflict right you need an ensemble cast of likeable characters. Have we seen evidence of this from Discovery? Just cause we have characters named Sarek and Harry Mudd hanging around doesn't mean that we'll like them or care about their conflicts.

The lesson from VOY was apparently "change up the visual aesthetic."

Rebuttal: Oh, so that's why the transporter was embedded in the back wall like an eyesore; just to shake things up. It's not like we know what ships looked like in this time period, or uniforms...yeah, I've harped on this one before, even in this very post!

The lesson from ENT was apparently "explore other genres."

Rebuttal: Fair enough. I can't really complain about that one. Too bad they outright admit that TNG was doing it first. So what was so revolutionary about ENT again?

Key comment from the article:

"If Discovery should take anything anyway from Enterprise it should be that they need to stick with the familiar. Inventing your own alien conflict and continuity in season one is a terrible idea."

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.

Last edited by Nate the Great; 07-01-2017 at 10:50 PM.