View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 03:51 PM
You just activated his Trek card

Discovery will dispense with Roddenberry's rule that humans have no conflicts or other base flaws.

I kinda thought that this rule had been thrown away the minute Gene died. It really does seem like some members of the press who are covering Discovery have seen nothing except TOS and the Kelvinverse. Ugh. And if the showrunners feel like they have to explain this, I wonder if they have seen any Trek other than TOS and the Kelvinverse. Ugh again.

Another article extrapolates "more conflict allowed" to mean "more yelling."

Conflict=/=yelling. And if the showrunners feel that they are equivalent, that's another thing to get worried about.

More details about the first two episodes, and another reiteration that Discovery is stepping away from Roddenberry's no conflict rule.

I'm the first to admit that Roddenberry was overly idealistic and that conflict (note: not just yelling and fighting) is needed for drama, but there's a point where "stepping away from Roddenberry" means "this isn't Star Trek anymore."

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.