View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 01:42 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Commentary on the Discovery Delivery Model

Salient points:
* Ever since Enterprise went off the air the amount of things a viewer could watch has exploded, so Discovery has to work hard to compete against the other options. No argument here. So why hasn't Paramount figured this out?
* They want Discovery to double the number of subscribers to 2.5 million (Netflix has 100 million). Good luck with that.
* All Access will run ads AND not make a whole season of the show available. Good luck with that.
* Serial storytelling works best when the viewer can binge watch; they can't do that with Discovery. If the pilot doesn't hook a viewer; they're gone.
* If CBS dumped all of Discovery onto the service at once, people would only sign up for All Access for one month. Duh. That's why the weekly model is best used for shows that have self-contained stories. Which Discovery is not.

They're currently working on episode five of fifteen.

Again, HOW was this supposed to be ready last January?

A poll about how people intend to watch Discovery:

55%-Watch it, but on on All Access
27%-Watch it on All Access
12%-No, I don't want to get All Access
6%-No, other

They're missing other options like "I'll wait until it's on DVD" and "I'll wait until it's on Netflix."

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.