View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarn-Vedra
Oh,and have any of you read Atlas Shrugged? I borrowed a copy from my friend and I'm only a few pages in,and I'm not gettin it.lol So help me out?
It's a favorite of mine, for what that's worth. As a caveat, though, it's been my experience that people either love or hate this book; there doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground.

Recommended reading?

One thing any fan of science fiction worth his/her/its salt should read is Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy.

Others (not necessarily sci-fi):

- Mark Twain - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
- Salman Rushdie - Midnight's Children and The Satanic Verses (The latter is what got him in trouble with the Ayatollah Khomeini in particular, and Islamic clerics in general.)
- Joseph Heller - Catch-22
- Robert Heinlein - Stranger in a Strange Land and Friday (forget Starship Troopers, it's crap)
- Thomas Pynchon - Mason & Dixon
- Douglas Adams - the Hitchhiker's Guide books, as well as the Dirk Gently ones (Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul)
- Practically any science fiction short story collections from the '40s and '50s you can get your hands on

That should be enough for a start.

[Edit: code] and to add: read Shakespeare's Hamlet and Othello, though not necessarily back-to-back, as I did.

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)