View Single Post
Old 02-28-2020, 03:48 AM
You just activated his Trek card

"Time and Again"

Plotlines:

1. The Weird Planet of the Week destroyed themselves and Janeway and Paris accidentally go back in time and could be killed the same way. There are Prime Directive implications.

2. Kes takes the new job of nurse, plus the new job of resident psychic plot device.

Fix them:

1. Actually, it's not just the Prime Directive that needs to be discussed, but the Temporal Prime Directive. Sadly, Janeway has a point. This plot is okay, but should've been pushed a few episodes down the line.

2. Memory Alpha doesn't give this episode a stardate, but Memory Beta says 48498.5, so they've been in the Delta Quadrant over two months. The issue of replacement medical staff should have been a second-episode plot. In fact Episode Two should've been everyone getting settled in this new paradigm and kept the external plot to a minimum. Furthermore giving Spock power after power was okay for TOS since they were creating a universe, but by this point we need there to be limitations to Kes's powers. Her body weakens when she uses her power, her innocent mind is disturbed, etc.

Now lets talk about the Kes/Neelix dynamic here. Neelix is still thinking in scavenger terms: take what you can get, avoid dangerous situations, etc. Kes has already embraced the Federation ideal. Going forward we need more interaction along these lines instead of just Neelix being jealous.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.