View Single Post
Old 09-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]To paraphrase MEG, what "The Xindi" did well it did very well, and what it did badly is what Enterprise has been doing badly all along.

Under the former I'd file aliens (it's about time we saw some aliens with more than a bump on the nose), everything in the mine from characters to set, the addition of the military personnel (although, as MEG pointed out, their rescue of Archer was similar to an [iost_uid0]Elite Force[/iost_uid0] style video game and I hope that doesn't become a regular thing), Trip still dealing with his sister's death, the Jedi Council, and what happened to the Xindi homeworld.

Under the latter... first and foremost, the T'Pol/Trip stuff. Â That could have been some great character development for both of them. Â Instead, UPN has to turn it into "Hey, look! Â T'Pol took off her top! Â Wheee!" Â I might have still noticed the character interaction if I hadn't been cursing UPN during the entire scene. Â I also would have liked to see Phlox try to reach out to Trip instead of just treating him. Â Trip probably would have rebuffed him and forced Phlox to resort to the Vulcan thing anyways, but I think we should have at least seen Phlox try. Â Also under the "did badly" category, I'd put Mayweather, who still has nothing to do or say, and Archer being a prat. Â (If I were Vulcan, I'd find his guts unworthy of serious consideration too; could he [iost_uid0]be[/iost_uid0] any more illogical?)

One thing that bugged me when I read MEG's review was that she was railing on Enterprise for revealing the Xindi so soon... my question is, did we actually find out for sure that anyone on the Jedi Council [iost_uid0]was[/iost_uid0] Xindi? Firstly, there were more than five different species, meaning it's not [iost_uid0]just[/iost_uid0] the Xindi. Secondly, I don't recall if any of them resembled the Xindi Archer and Trip met. And thirdly, the destruction of the Xindi homeworld 120 years before the events of the episode suggests to me that the Xindi were never involved and the EFG lied to Archer. Thoughts?

I suspect "The Xindi" will be representative of the rest of the Enterprise season: doing some things well but not really doing anything about the mistakes they've been making all along. Â What the writers need is a good slap upside the head to shake them up.[/colorost_uid0]