View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 01:35 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Great View Post
Am I the only Trekkie in the world that feels uneasy about the mere existence of these auctions? Seriously, these objects are part of Trek history, it just seems wrong to me to put them on an auctioneer's block as though they were reposessed cars. I'd prefer items like these to either belong to the original actors associated with them or exist in some sort of Star Trek museum for the world to enjoy.
If they can auction copies of the Magna Carta and Picassos and Rembrantds and such then I don't see why this mysterious they can't also auction bits of Trek history.

Also, I don't think mudshark was refering to you in his post, but rather making generalities. People do pick up on this kind of stuff - there are pages and pages on the web devoted to variants of Trek ships alone, trying to make them fit into continuity in what I can only describe as the sheerest, obscurist kind of conjecture. I love Trek, but even so I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist over some scaling problems of Oberth class which then must be hammered into a theory about there being two different sized versions of it, and then speculate on the differing capabilities and mission profiles of each. That's... pretty anal. And so, knowing all that, I don't doubt that there would be some pretty good hissy fits if the B5 models were to be recreated with the differences that would entail. At the very least, it would spawn websites full of detailed comparisons, enough to make your eyes bleed.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants