Thread: Link Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 06:22 PM
You just activated his Trek card

Explaining Errors in DS9, Part Seven

Someone on Nit Central wonders why the Orion Syndicate in "Honor Among Thieves" doesn't have a single Orion in it. A good point, probably someone didn't want to pay for the green makeup if it wasn't required.

For "Tacking into the Wind" someone on Nit Central wonders about Kira being credited as Colonel instead of Commander. I don't have a problem, even beyond the They Just Didn't Care joke. Kira is still a Colonel, it's not like she resigned from the Bajoran Militia. My problem is her being a Commander and not a Captain.

Bashir says that Section 31 has been in existence for 300 years, a problem since the Federation has only been in existence for 200 years. I don't have a problem, just because it was in the Federation charter doesn't mean that it couldn't have existed since the day after First Contact. Plus Sloan is hardly the most reliable source of information.

A Nit Central commenter wonders why it's okay with Sisko for Worf to kill Gowron, but it's not okay with Picard for Worf to kill Duras. There's a whole discussion to be had here, enough for a few posts by itself. Let's keep it simple and say that Picard wasn't as familiar with Klingon customs as he thinks he was.

For "The Homecoming" it's mentioned several times that runabouts can only beam two people at a time (with a dedicated transporter pad at that!) yet in TNG three or more have been beamed at a time from smaller shuttles (without a dedicated pad, so it's a site-to-site transport at that!). I'm not sure I have an explanation for this one.

For "Hippocratic Oath" there's question about Worf's statement that he was in Security for seven years, when it should be eight (seven seasons plus Generations, which was at least six months after the series). A Nit Central member points out correctly that Worf wasn't in Security for the first season, he was a general bridge officer.

In "The Maquis" Kira expresses support for the Maquis, yet in "Heart of Stone" she's against them. The explanation is that Odo would tell Sisko if she supported them. My answer is that she might support the Maquis' ideals and initial methods, but there's been enough time since for them to get too violent and criminal for her. Plus there's been her character arc of being softened and more Federation-compatible.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.