View Single Post
Old 04-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I really liked this episode, because for once on this series we saw some real [iost_uid0]depth[/iost_uid0] to the Klingons. Broken Bow, Unexpected, Sleeping Dogs, and especially...er... that forgettable one, just showed us the same damn thing we've seen sixty-bagoogle times on TNG and DS9. This was especially troubling to me (and I'm sure I'm not alone here) because looking between the original series and the TNG/DS9/Voy era, there is a vast difference in the portrayal of Klingons. Now showing the later ones on Enterprise just didn't sit right.

Now knowing how non-static Klingon culture really is, it's a lot easier to imagine these guys moving toward the cunning Klingons we saw in TOS (maybe due in part to a relaxation of the honor code as presented to an extent in this episode?). In fact, without too much imagination involved, it's pretty easy to see a steady cycle of Klingon honor and cunning. By the time of TNG, the Klingons have reverted to their honorable ways, though they lost the blindness of it they have now on Enterprise (whether that's been intentional or simply poor writing).

Anywho, the episode presented many new ideas which is always a plus. I expected a retread of Star Trek 6 (which I too remember well, for obvious reasons). I got a pretty well balanced episode. Hearing spoilers (don't worry, I won't say 'em here) for the end of the season has really piqued my interest. I see hope for this show where before I saw Star Trek: The La([iost_uid0]st[/iost_uid0] or [iost_uid0]me[/iost_uid0]) Generation.

Bla, rant over.[/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!