View Single Post
Old 02-26-2004, 01:11 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I actually saw the twist from the beginning. Again, the trailer tripped me off (maybe I should stop watching the next week's trailer). Mutiny almost invariably means mind control/altered/drugged. So when Archer gets sprayed, of course he's been affected.

Nevertheless, I was still pretty impressed with this episode. Archer didn't go immediately insane, and seemed fairly rational in his decisions. I wish they had stayed with the issue of ethics vs. warfare. Is it really true that "All's fair in love and war"? That could've been touched on more.

However, they did touch on the issue of when is it right to question authority and when is it right to rebel. Of course, a lot of this ties into the Reed and Hayes conflict. Interestingly, Malcolm supported the rebelling, whereas just last year he was the one who wanted more discipline and seemed much more inclined to obey the Captain without questioning ("Minefield" for example).

Speaking of Hayes and Reed, this is really one of the most interesting storylines this season for me. I've really enjoyed their rivalry, the way they work together, and the way they work against each other. What's funny to me is that Hayes seems the more professional between him and Reed. He seems more ready to set aside differences for the good of the ship while Reed has the paranoia of thinking Hayes is after his job.

So of the plots in "Harbinger", we had something telling more about the reshaping of the expanse last week, something telling more about the Hayes-Reed conflict this week, will next week tell us more about the T'Pol/Trip relationship? I hope not.[/colorost_uid0]