View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 12:47 AM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
"WE"? Brave New World is very good though - I suspect you'll enjoy it.
WE by Yevgeny Zamyatin:

In the One State of the great Benefactor, there are no individuals, only numbers. Life is an ongoing process of mathematical precision, a perfectly balanced equation. Primitive passions and instincs have been subdued. Even nature has been defeated, banished behind the Green Wall. But one frontier remains: outer space. Now, with the creation of the spaceship Integral, that frontier and whatever alien species are to be found there will be subjugated to the beneficent yoke of reason.

One number, D-503, chief architect of the Integral, decides to record his thoughts in the final days before the launch for the benefit of less advanced societies. But a chance meeting with the beautiful I-330 results in an unexpected discovery that threatens everything D-503 believes about himself and the One State. The discovery, or rediscovery, of inner space...and that disease the ancients called the soul.

Sounds really good to me. A classic dystopian novel according to the back of the book. I'll let you know how it is once I finish reading it.

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!