View Single Post
Old 03-19-2003, 08:02 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="PointyHairedJedi"]I'd like to start by saying that a faithful representation of [iost_uid0]Dune[/iost_uid0] is all but impossible, unless an Indain version was ever made. Yes, the film did change things, but it was clearly done as a compromise so that it would stand as a story on it's own, and not stand as something that would be utterly incoprehensible to anyone but people who had read [iost_uid0]Dune[/iost_uid0].[/quoteost_uid0]

Lynch changed so many things there was little point in even bothering to call it "Dune" anyway.

[quoteost_uid0]Unfortunately, with a book as complicated as [iost_uid0]Dune[/iost_uid0] is there is simply no way it could be transfered into the visual medium of film and be recognisibly intact compared to the original. In this sense I think that Lynch's [iost_uid0]Dune[/iost_uid0] did a pretty good job, and I suspect that a better version would be extremely difficult to make - something equal to it is the best I think can be ever done.[/quoteost_uid0]

Lynch hardly pulled a Peter Jackson. He put in stuff that was unnecessary (the Guild Steersman, for instance), removed stuff integral to the STORY (the Paul/Chani thing), stuck in stuff that had no place in "Dune" at all (that power word thing)...

Put it this way: if it wasn't trying to be "Dune" I'd've liked it.

[quoteost_uid0]Are you sure you read the books that carefully?[/quoteost_uid0]
He liked slave boys, but they were most definitely ALIVE at the time. And there was no mention of "heart plugs."

[quoteost_uid0]Plus, as I say, it is supposed to be accessable to people who aren't familiar with the book, and it was I think a good way of getting across the essence of the Baron's character.[/quoteost_uid0]

I think him flying around cackling did THAT just fine.

Basically, my qualm with the Lynch characterisation is that he's [iost_uid0]too[/iost_uid0] evil. The Baron was sadistic but not "evil."

[quoteost_uid0]You'll have to refresh my memory as to that particular point - I'm guessing something to do with the Bene Gesserit though.[/quoteost_uid0]
When Paul starts training the Fremen, he pulls out a gun (I think) and says "this is my power-word" and blasts a rock or something apart. Never happens in the book, and there's no reference to power-words in Messiah, Children, or God Emperor...

Fremen had maula pistols, anyway.

[quoteost_uid0]So? She doesn't really have any major part to play in [iost_uid0]Dune[/iost_uid0] anyway - it's not until the next two sequels that she really takes on a role of significance.[/quoteost_uid0]
It's part of the story. Y'know, the parallels between Paul's mother and the Duke being unable to marry, Shakespeare-like tragedy, etc...

[quoteost_uid0]The Bene Gesserit aren't Vulcans you know. I do agree that it would have been noce not to see her get in such a flap, but considering her 'husband' has been murdered, and House Atredies nearly destroyed, to see her not show some kind of strong emotion would have been even more unrealistic.[/quoteost_uid0]
She's a Bene Gesserit. Effectively, they ARE Vulcans. Also, she didn't flip out in the book like that. She gets buried alive in a sandslide and doesn't freak out like that.

[quoteost_uid0]Lynch's way of marking them as being different I suppose, and plus it gave them semi-religeous overtones which is pretty much how non-BG in the book saw them. And don't forget Jessica was a BG (as you pointed out before) and she was most definitely not bald.[/quoteost_uid0]
She couldn't be bald, she was a main character.

Most of the Emperor's concubines are Bene Gesserit. His wife's a Bene Gesserit. That the Reverend Mothers might be unusual looking I could forgive but those changes change the very nature of the Bene Gesserit.

[quoteost_uid0]Well, I'm at complete odds with you over that one - I thought on the whole it was pretty good, and we certainly got a flavour of what the characters were supposed to be like in the book.[/quoteost_uid0]
Except that the actors were all white and homogenous.

[quoteost_uid0]I did have a good rant about the miniseries on the forums in the not too distant past, but unfortunately disapeared along with everything else. Suffice to say, I found it to be substantially inferior to the film in just about every respect. The fact that the Sci-Fi channel is in the process of doing a mini-series of [iost_uid0]Children of Dune[/iost_uid0] (and completely skipping [iost_uid0]Heretics[/iost_uid0]) fills me with dread. As I said before, they are bad bad people if they will cancel the truly excellent [iost_uid0]Farscape[/iost_uid0] for lack of money whilst at the same time being perfectly willing to spend moolah on a sequel to something so dire.[/quoteost_uid0]
The Dune Messiah/Children of Dune project was in the works long before the Farcsape debacle. Plus, the Dune series isn't actually that big budget.

And doesn't Heretics come WAY after? Like, post God Emperor?

It DOES really suck about Farscape, though.

[quoteost_uid0]I someday hope to meet this person face-to-face so that I can do something bad to them as a just reward for making that film.[/quoteost_uid0]

Pointy, we may disagree on Dune, but you're my kind of person.

Nan[/colorost_uid0]