View Single Post
Old 03-18-2003, 07:46 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"]It seems like PJ is remaking the book in his image.[/quoteost_uid0]
Isn't that the point? Anyone who wants to know what Tolkein was trying to achieve should read his books. No movie, no matter how good, is going to say the things Tolkein said in the way he said them. Instead a movie like FotR should show us PJ's vision of the books. Like discussing a television episode on a message board or with friends, sometimes someone else pulled something out of it that you didn't and vice versa.

LotR gets extra-special consideration on my part since really this has been a labor of love on PJ's and everyone else's part, but to a lesser extent, most movies that are based on books get consideration for the story they tell even if it's not quite the story the books tell.

All that said, I too have been bothered by the differences between the LotR books and movies. The first time I've watched either movie I've said to myself, "That's not the way it happened in the book!" Generally this means I have to go back and see the movie a second time so I can appreciate what PJ was trying to do. It's interesting because a lot of the stories and themes that I've pulled out of the books are not the same ones PJ has.[/colorost_uid0]