View Single Post
Old 03-18-2003, 05:45 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]But they butchered "Dune" SO BADLY in Lynch's version.

A list of the crimes committed against continuity:
[*] The Baron a necrophiliac?! To quote Gimpy of UnderGRADS: "the [iost_uid0]hell?[/iost_uid0]"[*] The Baron was fat, sure, but not covered in nasty pustules.[*] The house colour of the Harkonnens was blue, not black-rubber coated machinery![*] Where was Rabban?![*] There's no such thing as a "power-word."[*] Paul didn't train the Fremen to use lasguns.[*] Paul marries Irulan, but the movie doesn't even do anything with her except have her do the intro. Blak.[*] Jessica freaked out and broke down in tears after the worm showed up? JESSICA?! Hello! She's a Bene Gesserit! And a concubine! And JESSICA! AGH![*] The Bene Gesserit were creepy bald women?! They were generally voluptuous and attractive. The Reverend Mothers were generally old. Where did the baldness thing come from?[*] Never mentioned Paul's son.[*] The casting was terrible, excepting Brad Dourif (Piter Devries) and Sting (as Feyd). Not that Sting had a lot to do but pout, but still.

Some thought William Hurt's Leto was "comatose" but I always figured the Duke to be a sober, sort of sad guy anyway. Also, I've heard complaints about the miniseries' Paul being petulant early on etc. I think the casting was much better the second time around. The original "Dune" has NO sense of ethnicity. Ick. So many WASPs! WASPs everywhere!

I want the ethnic flavour, dammit! I spent weeks on that series. I'm owed something here as a consumer.

Plus, the sets and effects are really good. Instead of CG backgrounds they used painted backdrops and had opera-style lighting. It's really cool.

Nan[/colorost_uid0]