View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 03:19 PM
You just activated his Trek card

March 8th, 1968, "The Ultimate Computer"

Fiver (by Marc)
Transcript
Memory Alpha

Introduction

I know that "the computers are going to take all our jobs!" is a fear that's been around for decades, but it's patently ludicrous. At worst the advancement of technology will shuffle the jobs around to focus more on supporting the computers. You can't just set up a mainframe, plug it in, and let it run without checking to make sure that everything's still okay.

The Episode

KIRK: Yes, Commodore, I'd like an explanation
ENWRIGHT [OC]: The explanation is beaming aboard now, Captain. He may already be in your transporter room.

This idea of postponing the exposition until the last minute so the cast learns at the same time as the audience is lazy screenwriting. That's what Captain's Logs are for, and in this case I would've had Spock's Log to give the bare-bones details, then Kirk's Log for his feelings, then McCoy's Log to give a punchline.

WESLEY: Have you heard of the M-5 multitronic unit?
KIRK: That's Doctor Richard Daystrom's device, isn't it? Tell me about that.
SPOCK: The most ambitious computer complex ever created. Its purpose is to correlate all computer activity aboard a starship, to provide the ultimate in vessel operation and control.
WESLEY: How do you know so much about it, Commander?
SPOCK: I hold an A-7 computer expert classification, Commodore. I'm well acquainted with Doctor Daystrom's theories and discoveries. The basic design of all our ship's computers are Doctor Daystrom's.

"Multitronic" is merely an evolution of the duotronics we've already seen. It won't be heard from again until cameos in Voyager and DS9. It seems that isolinear circuitry surpasses both.

I am confused about Wesley not knowing about Spock's expertise. I would've thought that Spock's achievements would be public knowledge.

KIRK: Twenty? I can't run a starship with twenty crew.
WESLEY: The M-5 can.

Yeah, about that. There are many, many jobs on board a ship that have to be done with actual hands and eyes. And what about away missions? There are going to be times when you need more than twenty people planetside, when you need full security and medical teams available.
DAYSTROM: The M-5 has been perfected, Commander. Its potential is a fact.

How? This is the first time it's been installed on a starship. We're in the middle of proving these assertions!

DAYSTROM: There are other things a man like you might do. Or perhaps you object to the possible loss of prestige and ceremony accorded a starship captain. A computer can do your job and without all that.

Ugh, if all command decisions were made via clinical logic, can you imagine the chaos? (Insert all-Vulcan crew joke here) Furthermore, did Kirk ever seem to want the "celebrity" of being a starship captain any more than Picard did?

MCCOY: We're all sorry for the other guy when he loses his job to a machine. When it comes to your job, that's different. And it always will be different.
KIRK: Am I afraid of losing command to a computer? Daystrom's right. I can do a lot of other things. Am I afraid of losing the prestige and the power that goes with being a starship captain? Is that why I'm fighting it? Am I that petty?
MCCOY: Jim, if you have the awareness to ask yourself that question, you don't need me to answer it for you.

Finally some honest Trek philosophy! Even in otherwise awful episodes you can usually find some good character work.

DAYSTROM: Why were the Captain and the Chief Medical Officer not included in recommendation?
M5: Non-essential personnel.

I question why a doctor shouldn't be sent along; cuts and scrapes will always happen and you never know what will happen. If anything I'd expect M-5 to propose sending M'Benga instead because he has another quality that would fit this mission. And who's going to make command decisions? Is M-5 going to "tag along" via tricorder and communicator on an ongoing basis?

MCCOY: All the Sickbay systems are shut down until such time as the M-5 is informed there are patients to be cared for.

It's not like McCoy does medical research in his spare time or anything.

KIRK: Machine over man, Spock? It was impressive. It might even be practical.
SPOCK: Practical, Captain? Perhaps. But not desirable. Computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them. Captain the starship also runs on loyalty to one man, and nothing can replace it, or him.

Thank you, Spock.

WESLEY [on viewscreen]: Our compliments to the M-5 unit, and regards to Captain Dunsel. Wesley out.
MCCOY: Dunsel? Who the blazes is Captain Dunsel? (everyone else knows) What does it mean, Jim? (Kirk leaves the bridge) Spock? What does it mean?
SPOCK: Dunsel, Doctor, is a term used by midshipmen at Starfleet Academy. It refers to a part which serves no useful purpose.

I thought that "dunsel" existed as a distinct term before this, but apparently Star Trek invented it. Wikitonary says that a few unrelated SF novels have used the term as well, apparently inspired by this episode.

I rather think that the screenwriter meant a "dunce". Nowadays we call any idiot a dunce, but in ages past it specifically meant someone rejecting new knowledge. Did the writing staff get the word wrong, or were they trying to futurize it, or what?

KIRK: 20th century Earth. 'All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer by'. You could feel the wind at your back in those days. The sounds of the sea beneath you. And even if you take away the wind and the water, it's still the same. The ship is yours. You can feel her. And the stars are still there, Bones.

It's always nice when Kirk and McCoy get together to share a drink and get philosophical. What a shame that future series never really did this; the closest we get are a few discussions with Guinan. I'm also reminded of Pike and Boyce back in "The Cage."

MCCOY: Your brilliant young computer just destroyed an ore freighter. In fact it went out of its way to destroy an ore freighter!
DAYSTROM: Fortunately it was only a robot ship.
KIRK: But it shouldn't have destroyed anything.

Exactly. My question is: what made M-5 do this, where's the logic? It could scan the ship and see that it posed no threat. It's not like you could use the later excuse of "self-defense is more important than anything else."

As for robot ore ships; I repeat earlier comments that a ship will break down without at least a minimal crew.

KIRK: Force field?
DAYSTROM: It's not my doing, Kirk.
SPOCK: I would say, Captain, that M-5 is not only capable of taking care of this ship, it is also capable of taking care of itself.
KIRK: You mean it's not going to let any of us turn it off.

Did Daystrom give the M-5 the ability to create forcefields? If so, why? If the M-5 is usurping the Enterprise's own forcefield generators, can't our heroes get into the works and turn them off?

KIRK: That wasn't a minor difficulty. That wasn't a robot. That thing murdered one of my crewman and you tell me you can't turn it off?
DAYSTROM: It wasn't a deliberate act. M-5's analysis told it it needed a new power source. The ensign simply got in the way.

Daystrom doesn't care about cold-blooded murder. Confine him to quarters!

MCCOY: Please, Spock, do me a favour and don't say it's fascinating.
SPOCK: No. But it is interesting.
(McCoy rolls his eyes.)

Always loved this exchange.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.