View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

Okay, point by point...

- Point taken.
- Who says the space cats didn't create the emu egg? Their ways are wise and terrible. In a wider point, why does being the creator matter? For the sake of the argument, we assume that the space cats have some sort of interested in unbroken emu eggs and have the power to punish you if you go against their wishes. The scenario does not require that they actually created anything.
- While I don't claim to be a biblical scholar, I must admit that I don't recall any part of the bible that says "Thou shalt not create an artificially intelligent machine". Everything more metaphorical than that is, I would argue, subject to the interpretation of the reader. (A notorious problem of text in general.)
- There's a couple things even I don't want to know about the sun.
- Okay, Samurai were a bit luddite-ish, but I don't think they were stupid. If they'd had the tech to build reliable autoloaders and the infrastructure to support them, they'd have done so. Autoloading rifles, by the way, are an integral part of modern military tactics. In a wider context (considering the idea of an autoloading machine gun, as it was originally constructed by Hiram Maxim), it forms the basis of what we today consider an effective infantry fighting force. Even if there'd been no autoloaders, we wouldn't have stopped at muskets. Consider that Germany spent much of WW2 fielding bolt-action rifles, which - while nowhere near as impressive as autoloaders - would totally devastate an army dependant on single-shot breech loaders. Don't even start on muzzle-loading muskets - helpless case, especially when we assume muskets use the (much inferior) black powder rather than the smokeless powders used from the 19th Century on.
- Dude, microchips are directly at fault for affordable personal computing, the internet and the rise of IT. I don't see Evolution getting much better at making your head spin with implications.
- Considering that my understanding of Kant's "phenomenon" is that we can't perceive things as they actually are, I see no way anything can ever be explained without resorting to your observations of the world rather than some mystical knowledge of the true nature of reality. Everything we know, we perceived first. The challenge seems meaningless to me.

Gatac
- d02 Quotes