View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium View Post
Then don't call me Val

Seriously, do we have the right to PROGRAMME GUIDELINES into a thinking brain.
Well, we teach our kids not to kill their playground buddies to get their toys. Laugh all you want, but what reason would a blank slate AI have to think that it's bad to kill others?

Then again, there's a difference between having Asimov-esque laws hardcoded into your brain or being taught morality.

Quote:

Nope. Assuming there is a God, what right do we have to create life? Surely it would be His divine right, and His alone? Obviously I can't prove this, but neither can you disprove it. And call me Pascal, but I'd rather not risk it.
Forgive me if this sounds silly, but by the same token, I could live in mortal fear of ever cracking an emu egg because I believe the space cats will eat me if I do. I don't know if there's a God; what I do know is that He hasn't really left us any concrete guidelines on the topic. (And that's under the assumption that we believe the Bible to be His word - bring other religions into it and you'll be lucky if you can agree on why the sun shines.)

Quote:
There's also the question of whether we can create life itself, and also, why do we *need* androids and sentient robots?
Ask a medieval Samurai what you can do with an autoloading rifle, or the IBM guys in the 50s what the hell a microchip is good for. If there's one pattern in technology, it's that a lot of what we know came from cocking about and doing things because we could. In a lot of cases, we had the invention first and then found out about the neat things we could do with it.

Quote:
Re: the second part of part three: Prove Godless evolution to me without reference to the phenomenal (see also: Kant).
Evolution is easy to show, it's abiogenesis that's hard.

Gatac
- d02 Quotes