View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 10:03 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Ellison's story seems the more credible to me, and while I have no great love for the man, I'm inclined to take his side here. He's certainly conducted himself better since the incident -- he's not the one tacitly approving of his fans' online "retaliation" attempts.

Gabe and Tycho are very funny guys, but they haven't earned their fame the way Ellison has. They don't seem to appreciate how lucky they are that out of so many great webcomics, Penny Arcade became the big success story. When they condescend to someone like Harlan Ellison or Scott McCloud or, heck, even Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, I have trouble sympathizing with them.

They're just ordinary guys, a little older than me, who decided to make a website for much the same reasons I did. Now they're giving lectures at MIT, and hey, that's great. But they should have some respect for people who got to that level the hard way.

All that said... picturing Ellison's reaction to being called a Star Wars writer still has me in stitches.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction

Last edited by Zeke; 07-24-2013 at 05:57 AM.