View Single Post
Old 03-13-2004, 09:51 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Michiel"]How about these theories?

Picard never left the Nexus. He only thinks he did, because saving 230 million lives is exactly what he wanted.

Chakotay is still dreaming.

Damn, I had a lot more of these theories, but I can't think of them right now.

Anyway, do you think one of these "Ship in a bottle" thingies could explain all this? [/quoteost_uid0]
This reminds me of the theory that since the Sixth Doctor "never regenerated" into the Seventh Doctor (i.e., Colin Baker, the Sixth Doctor, did not return for regeneration after being fired, and Sylvester McCoy played both the Sixth and Seventh Doctiors for his regeneration sequence, wearing a Colin Baker wig for the first half), everything after the Sixth Doctor is "noncanonical."

Likewise with stardates. Stardates are garbage. They are so inconsistently applied that they might as well have been sprayed out by a random number generator. You can use stardates to prove anything -- Tasha Yar was alive and serving at her post after her death, etc., etc. And the duration of stardate units during NextGen bears no relation at all to the span of time between TOS and TNG. And so on.

I admit I have reservations about Secret Agent Hansen. But it would explain a great deal. And I can't believe that no one in the Federation knew anything about the Borg prior to "Q Who"--especially since the Hansens are proof that they did.

As for the babies in a drawer, I always thought that was merely a creche, but it certainly makes sense for the Borg to accelerate the process of maturation in order to capable drones. It seems to me, though, that the Borg increased their reliance on assimilating [iost_uid0]people[/iost_uid0] to increase their numbers in addition to assimilating technology, to the detriment of their cloning program. In FC and also especially the Borg battle with Species 10-10-220 on Voyager, we see that the Borg have a specially adapted stingers the specific purpose of which was to assimilate a person and turn him into a drone. I think that this represents Borg reliance on drone assimilation rather than cloning and growing (which might take more resources). I think the baby-in-a-drawer thing represents an attempt to use cloning after a drought in their ability to assimilate, or alternately a policy which later changed to favor drone assimilation over cloning. (We know that the Borg don't mate because of the comment in "Q Who" that the drones are neither male nor female--though if the hive analogy is followed through there should be specialized mating drones whose function is the do it with the Queen! )

One side note--I was fascinated by the Borg's attempt to assimilate Species 10-10-220 because [iost_uid0]all[/iost_uid0] other Borg are strictly humanoid. Supposedly the Borg are assimilating everything in sight, but where are the non-humanoid drones? Is the Borg hive an apartheid society? Are there Borg cubes entirely devoted to Gorn and Mon Calamari, like the all-Vulcan [iost_uid0]Intrepid[/iost_uid0]? Also, is assimilation a Borg drone's fallback defense response? If a Borg drone is attacked by, say, a tiger, does the drone use his stinger to assimilate it--and do we then have a [iost_uid0]Borg tiger[/iost_uid0] running around? Now that I want to see![/colorost_uid0]