The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Persistent, Niggling Questions (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1410)

Chancellor Valium 11-04-2007 01:50 PM

Why do people presume to tell me about the pyramids when they don't even know who Flinders Petrie is?

Nate the Great 11-04-2007 07:46 PM

Has to be done. Who?

What's the silliest argument we've ever had in the forum? I tend to think it was the great clear vs. colorless debate.

Wowbagger 11-04-2007 11:38 PM

I only post to the forums when there's an update vacuum, so I really can't say. That sounds good, though. I can support that.

catalina_marina 11-05-2007 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 75235)
What's the silliest argument we've ever had in the forum? I tend to think it was the great clear vs. colorless debate.

I seem to have missed that. But scientifically, there's a great difference, so I wonder why it would be silly.

Nate the Great 11-05-2007 03:24 AM

http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/sho...sparent&page=4

Yikes was that a loaded issue. I've changed my opinion somewhat, but still have a few problems with the definitions that the others came up with.

PointyHairedJedi 11-07-2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catalina_marina (Post 75218)
Of course, you fall over no matter what bike you're trying to get on of off, but that's hardly the point, is it?

Damn straight! And, as it happens, one of my favourite TV quotes is "You win again, gravity!", just because it's applicable to so very many situations.

Nate the Great 11-07-2007 08:09 PM

Who was the first person to wear their baseball cap backwards, and who was that second person that thought it actually looked good?

How aerodynamic are pie plates anyway?

Why are so many people anti-pulp in their juice?

NAHTMMM 11-08-2007 08:29 PM

I think Ken Griffey Jr. popularized the backwards cap thing to some extent.

Pulp is icky. When I have a glass of lemonade, I swirl it every so often so the pulp doesn't all collect at the bottom.

Nate the Great 11-08-2007 11:33 PM

Pulp is icky?

PointyHairedJedi 11-09-2007 08:42 AM

Only if it's toad pulp. Or maybe squirrel pulp.

Nate the Great 11-09-2007 12:31 PM

Okay, did not need THAT mental image...

Nate the Great 11-13-2007 07:08 AM

If Douglas Adams had chosen a number other than 42, would the fans have been able to find nearly as much other stuff to "justify" it? It's an interesting question. One major facet of the whole 47 phenomenon is that, aside from the obvious placements by Trek creators, most so-called "sightings" are coicidence and extrapolation.

Nate the Great 11-13-2007 08:35 AM

How could a mirror really end Ella of Frell's curse? After all, would the curse really be fooled that Ella's order really came from someone else? I'd imagine that an implied clause in the original curse would imply some form of "you can't remove it from yourself." Then again, would some form of the solution Elisa used in Gargoyles work for Ella? Remember that whoever held the page of the Grimorum Arcnorum that contained an obedience curse could order the victim of said curse to do anything. Elisa said, in essence, "for the rest of your life you will act as though you are not cursed." Couldn't Mandy just order Ella to act under her own free will at all times?

Yes, this is nitpicking of the most inane precision and obsession, but it IS a PNQ, so there.

Just how could you put the Sorceror's Stone INTO a mirror? It's a stinkin' mirror! Two-dimensional! Was the SS just put into some sort of transporter suspension by Dumbledore, activated by a semisentient spell put onto the mirror?

LtFielding 11-14-2007 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 75326)
If Douglas Adams had chosen a number other than 42, would the fans have been able to find nearly as much other stuff to "justify" it? It's an interesting question. One major facet of the whole 47 phenomenon is that, aside from the obvious placements by Trek creators, most so-called "sightings" are coicidence and extrapolation.

I've got a better question, If Douglas Adams picked a number besides 42 would I have hidden that number in my English Paper?

Nate the Great 11-14-2007 09:58 PM

Really? That's ... different.

Here's one for you: Can you really have any such thing as Eggshell White, Antique White, etc. etc. Isn't White, like Black, sort of an absolute color? You really can't have any shades of an absolute, can you? Anything else would be very very light yellow or very very dark blue, etc.

Chancellor Valium 11-15-2007 01:00 PM

You can if you are a pretentious paint-namer. And you have a hundred-and-one thousand tints of cream to label.

Why do I always forget something I meant to say/post?

Nate the Great 11-16-2007 10:10 PM

Okay, so...

Why manufacture 1001 different kinds of cream paint?

What's your favorite paint color? We just sort of sequed there. My favorite is called Winter Solstice, and it's the color of my room. It's glorious. It's a very light blue, almost but not quite bordering on lavender. Imagine the shade of the background to this entry, but lighter and with just a hint of purple.

NAHTMMM 11-17-2007 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 75327)
Just how could you put the Sorceror's Stone INTO a mirror? It's a stinkin' mirror! Two-dimensional!

Project the three-dimensional Stone into the two-dimensional mirror.

If you don't want to bother with such trifling mathematical chicanery, I think Alice will be heading that way in a few minutes, so just give it to her to take along.

Nate the Great 11-17-2007 04:57 AM

Which line should I ditch from my sig to include

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

The two references to me from this forum are off-limits, but other opinions are welcome. I'm edging toward chucking Hanlon's Razor, but opinions are welcome.

Chancellor Valium 11-17-2007 10:14 AM

"(Inspired by a quote by Jim Guigli) My motivation for writing fivers is to find a constructive outlet for my dementia."
This I would recommend for ditching.

EDIT: This one has been niggling at me persistently on and off for about five years now - what the can-you-afford-to-board is a lapazoo?

As in:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane, antiquated lyrics
Charleston, Charleston,
Made in Carolina
Some dance, some prance,
I'll say there's nothing finer than the
Charleston, Charleston,
Lord how you can shuffle
Ev'ry step you do
Leads to something new,
Man I'm telling you