The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   News (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   June 17 - Day 3 of Alternate Universe Week (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=335)

Kira 06-17-2003 04:17 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Kira here with the next set of fivers, etc.<ul>[*]Marc Richard brings us our next Mirror Universe fiver with Five-Minute "Through the Looking Glass"[*]Derek Dean makes another contribution with Five-Minute "Future Imperfect"[*]Nan over at Five-Minute Stargate has chipped in with Five-Minute "Point of View"[*]The "Sleapers" saga continues with part 3, by me[*]And finally, IJD GAF tops it all off with a Top 10 list: The Top 10 Alternate Universes Most Desired by the Original Series Crew[/color:post_uid0]

Derek 06-17-2003 04:40 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Mirror O'Brien: (rallying the slaves) Anyone who wants their freedom, follow me!
Mirror Yang: Free-dohm? That is one of our worship-words.
Mirror O'Brien: Less talk, more uprising.[/quote:post_uid0]
Nice, Marc. But then again I always love TOS references.

[quote:post_uid0]Kira: It wouldn't have been a close call if the three of you had stopped laughing long enough to rescue me sooner.

Marc: We couldn't help it after you misheard the charge as "being a bi--[/quote:post_uid0]
Favorite part.

[quote:post_uid0]7. Chapel: A universe where Spock follows his father's lead in marriage choice
6. Spock: A universe where Chapel follows her fiancé's lead in lifespan [/quote:post_uid0]
This one had me chuckling.

[quote:post_uid0]Kawalsky: See, the Quantum Mirror isn't like a regular dimensional browser. In fact, you have to channel surf millions of alternate universes to find the one you're looking for.
Daniel: No "Favourites" folder? No "History" listing? No dimensional listings channel?
Kawalsky: Actually, your last position gets wiped when you turn the mirror off, so you have to surf for it again.
[pause]
Daniel: This remote sucks.
Kawalsky: I don't think they ever got to version 2.0.[/quote:post_uid0]
Heh. I don't get Stargate jokes, but I do get computer jokes. Nice one, Nan.[/color:post_uid0]

Nan 06-17-2003 06:25 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]My computer is senile, so I was writing somewhat from experience. ;)

GREAT work Derek, Kira, Marc, and IJDGAF!

Will Akili be making further appearances, or can we assume she escaped in the confusion? ;)[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM 06-17-2003 02:16 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]All the fivers are wonderful. My very favorite bits out of them were

[quote:post_uid0]Sisko: Judging from your outfit, it's a place with a ghastly sense of fashion.
Mirror O'Brien: Our clothes fit our personalities just fine.
Sisko: I was afraid of that.
Mirror Garak: Bad news, Intendant. No matter how much I flog the slaves, their morale refuses to improve.
Mirror Mira: ...
Mirror Garak: (nodding) Shall I put another notch in your belt on my way out?
Mirror Kira: It's over there somewhere with the rest of my clothes.[/quote:post_uid0]

[quote:post_uid0]Riker: So Data's my first officer now?
B4: Actually, I'm not Data.
Riker: Sure, whatever.
Tomalak: So what didn't strike a chord? We figured you'd waltz right through our simulated future.
Riker: It was Minuet who made me face the music.
Tomalak: But we chose a love interest who was canon.
Riker: Too bad she was just a jazzed up hologram.[/quote:post_uid0]

[quote:post_uid0]Kawalsky: Jaffa? DIEDIEDIE!
AltAltCarter: Ooooh, freaky hair.
Carter: We probably succeeded because we're different from the people in your universe. Those slight differences may have help--
AltAltCarter: So you're better than we are, are you? Is that it?
Carter: I didn't mean--
AltAltCarter: Bite me.
Carter: What just happened?
O'Neill: I have a vague suspicion she doesn't deal with the chronic whumping as well as you do.
[Hug.]
Shippers: [swoon]
Nan: [i:post_uid0]Gahh![/i:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
:D

The Sleapers installment was really silly too.
[quote:post_uid0]Marc: You call that a plan?
IJD: I don't remember you complaining on the wizard world.
Marc: You had turned me into a ferret.[/quote:post_uid0]
I'm still trying to picture that. :lol:

And a thoroughly funny Top Ten list, too! What a great update! :lol: Â :bigsmile:[/color:post_uid0]

Kira 06-17-2003 02:30 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="NAHTMMM"][quote:post_uid0][b:post_uid0]Marc:[/b:post_uid0] You call that a plan?
[b:post_uid0]IJD:[/b:post_uid0] I don't remember you complaining on the wizard world.
[b:post_uid0]Marc:[/b:post_uid0] You had turned me into a ferret.[/quote:post_uid0]
I'm still trying to picture that. :lol:[/quote:post_uid0]
That bit will be familiar to anyone who's read the Harry Potter books.

[quote:post_uid0="Derek"][quote:post_uid0][b:post_uid0]Kira:[/b:post_uid0] It wouldn't have been a close call if the three of you had stopped laughing long enough to rescue me sooner.
[b:post_uid0]Marc:[/b:post_uid0] We couldn't help it after you misheard the charge as "being a bi--[/quote:post_uid0]
Favorite part.[/quote:post_uid0]

Mine too. Â :D

Also, for those of you wondering why Marc was snickering at a reference to a mention of Five-Minute Dilbert a couple days ago....

[quote:post_uid0][b:post_uid0]Mirror Garak:[/b:post_uid0] Bad news, Intendant. No matter how much I flog the slaves, their morale refuses to improve.
[b:post_uid0]Mirror Kira:[/b:post_uid0] I'll show you how to boost worker productivity! Random executions! Guards, take those three away and shoot them!
[b:post_uid0]Chief Guard:[/b:post_uid0] Dilbert, Wally, Alice -- you heard the boss! Get out of your cubicles and come with us![/quote:post_uid0][/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi 06-17-2003 03:52 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Kira"]Also, for those of you wondering why Marc was snickering at a reference to a mention of Five-Minute Dilbert a couple days ago....

[quote:post_uid0][b:post_uid0]Mirror Garak:[/b:post_uid0] Bad news, Intendant. No matter how much I flog the slaves, their morale refuses to improve.
[b:post_uid0]Mirror Kira:[/b:post_uid0] I'll show you how to boost worker productivity! Random executions! Guards, take those three away and shoot them!
[b:post_uid0]Chief Guard:[/b:post_uid0] Dilbert, Wally, Alice -- you heard the boss! Get out of your cubicles and come with us![/quote:post_uid0]

[/quote:post_uid0]

*Contented sigh*

That's what I like to see.

The rest was good too. I especially liked the TOS themed Top Ten list. If the next four days are anything like as good, then I'm probably going to end up laughing myself to death.[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark 06-17-2003 07:47 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Everybody: :D

[i:post_uid0]Rike van William[/i:post_uid0]: Nice! :)

[i:post_uid0]The Gods Themselves[/i:post_uid0]: Nan, [i:post_uid0]very[/i:post_uid0] nice! :) :p[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark 06-17-2003 08:57 PM

[quote:post_uid0="Kira"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Also, for those of you wondering why Marc was snickering at a reference to a mention of Five-Minute Dilbert a couple days ago....[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]There was also the "Elbonian Mafia" line at the beginning of Part I. ;)[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi 06-17-2003 09:49 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]OK, I've only just noticed that - shows how much attention I was paying.[/color:post_uid0]

Nan 06-17-2003 11:51 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Guest"][i:post_uid0]The Gods Themselves[/i:post_uid0]: Nan, [i:post_uid0]very[/i:post_uid0] nice![/quote:post_uid0]
You read the book? Â :O[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark 06-19-2003 09:22 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]^ It's been on my bookshelf for years (as part of a volume of non-Foundation, non-Empire, non-robot Asimov stories.) One of the best sci-fi stories anyone ever wrote. :)[/color:post_uid0]