The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Help Needed Locating The Title Of A Book Please! (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=681)

Zeke 03-23-2005 04:00 AM

By definition, anyone who commits suicide has to volunteer.

NAHTMMM 03-23-2005 05:01 AM

^Not necessarily knowing that they're committing suicide though ;)

Katy Jane 03-23-2005 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
By definition, anyone who commits suicide has to volunteer.

The diffrence here being that they are being encoraged to do so as apposed to getting locked up in a psycward for trying. ;) :P

mudshark 03-23-2005 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJ
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudshark
Vonnegut? Hmmm, the only stories of his dealing with time travel/shifting that I can think of, off the top of my head, are Slaughterhouse-Five, The Sirens of Titan (chrono-synclastic infundibulum, heh :D ), and Timequake, all novels. Some re-reading may be in order.

it doesn't have any time travel, it takes place in the future and people have to volenteer to commit suisied... still can think of the name.

Ah, okay. Then that would probably be Welcome to the Monkey House (from the story collection of the same name), with the "Ethical Suicide Parlors".

Katy Jane 03-23-2005 07:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJ
Quote:

Vonnegut? Hmmm, the only stories of his dealing with time travel/shifting that I can think of, off the top of my head, are Slaughterhouse-Five, The Sirens of Titan (chrono-synclastic infundibulum, heh :D ), and Timequake, all novels. Some re-reading may be in order.

it doesn't have any time travel, it takes place in the future and people have to volenteer to commit suisied... still can think of the name.

Ah, okay. Then that would probably be Welcome to the Monkey House (from the story collection of the same name), with the "Ethical Suicide Parlors".

yep that would be it.

Scooter 03-30-2005 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
Re: John Wyndham... Word. He writes a mean short story too. Pick up "The Seeds of Time" if you can find it.

One of my first introductions to science fiction as a boy was "Chocky." Great and creepy (like "Day of the Triffids").

Chancellor Valium 03-30-2005 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katy Jane
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJ
Quote:

yep that would be it.

It could also be a short story I forget who by, called "2BR02B" I think.......

Chancellor Valium 04-13-2005 03:08 PM

"2BR02B" could well be the story, as I just checked and it is by Vonnegut Jr. :wink: