The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   5MV Talk (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What's your favorite fiver troupe? (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1319)

Nate the Great 11-25-2006 11:00 PM

What's your favorite fiver troupe?

If you need a little background on troupes, you can visit http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/ but I'll just quote the relevant definition:

"Tropes are devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations. If a trope gets used too much, it becomes clichéd. The word cliché means stereotyped and trite. In other words, dull and uninteresting."

The fivists here have come up with a number of conventions that have become accepted as useful to use when writing fivers, and thus have become expected.

We can also use this thread to promote troupes that we want to see more of, as well as bringing up running gags between fivers that we enjoy.

Starpaul20 11-26-2006 01:46 AM

My favorite would have to be 'Characters mocking the plot they're in' (this is what I voted for) followed by 'Boneheaded decisions by villians'. :)

Nate the Great 11-26-2006 02:08 AM

Oh yeah, that's a good one. A favorite of mine is the "that's a stupid explanation, but that must be what happened" gag.

Any particular boneheaded decision you especially like?

mudshark 11-26-2006 04:04 AM

Chili. :D

Zeke 11-26-2006 05:01 AM

Interesting thread, Nate. But how can you have read that page you linked us to and still be consistently misspelling "trope"?

e of pi 11-26-2006 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 71342)
Interesting thread, Nate. But how can you have read that page you linked us to and still be consistently misspelling "trope"?

I suspect that it's either a simple error, a bad auto-correct, or some sort of humor too subtle for mere mortals.

Nate the Great 11-27-2006 12:57 AM

Um, I suppose I could call it a preference for the older-style spelling, where I think "troupe" would be fully acceptable. I could, but I can't. I suppose I could also say "I'm an engineer, not a grammatician!", but then again, I just did. :)

Chalk it up to post-college spelling slide. Then again, maybe I've devoted so much of my mind to finding fault in the grammar of others that spelling has to take a back seat.

Nate the Great 11-30-2006 05:34 PM

So as of this time "characters mocking the plot they're in" remains number one. I'm not in the least surprised.

Nor is Gak in second place surprising. It's gotta be one of our favorite sound effects. I just regret that Kablazmo isn't used more often by the fivists. It's such a shame that the DS9 episodes that I've fived really don't have any ships blowing up, or I'd use it myself.

GreenFire1 11-30-2006 07:34 PM

It's gotta be mocking plots. Of course, I Five Rockman EXE, and it's just too easy to do that. Where else can you find giant psychedelic radiation fields that, when combined with an appropriate data chip, cause ordinary humans to sprout armor and grow beam sabers or guns on their hands?

(Zeke and Mav know exactly what I'm talking about, and for the rest of you, I swear I'm not making this up.)

Sa'ar Chasm 11-30-2006 07:37 PM

I'm a little surprised you didn't include "geeky references" or "excreable puns" among the options.

Note: turns out "excreable" doesn't mean quite what I thought it did, but its actual meaning will do in this context.

Nate the Great 11-30-2006 10:12 PM

Re geeky references: Okay, yeah, that should've been there.

Re puns: Ditto. Maybe I should recalibrate the poll, huh?

I've seen Megaman NT Warrior, so I've seen my share of Crossfusions. Still don't get how they're supposed to help. I think that the implication is that the closer the link and the shorter the reaction between NetOp and NetNavi, the better the results.

Oh, and remember that since all of that stuff is holographic, it's no weirder than the monsters in Yu-Gi-Oh.

mudshark 12-01-2006 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm (Post 71400)
I'm a little surprised you didn't include "geeky references" or "excreable puns" among the options.

Note: turns out "excreable" doesn't mean quite what I thought it did, but its actual meaning will do in this context.

Hm, I had to look that one up, and yeah, it could work. I thought maybe you were going for "execrable" but hey, I learned a new word today instead. Heh. :D

I still think that "chili" should have been a poll option.

Nate the Great 12-01-2006 02:42 AM

Learning new words is always good. Heck, I never even knew that a word like "predicate" existed until Mr. Morton came along.

Sa'ar Chasm 12-01-2006 06:55 AM

Quote:

I thought maybe you were going for "execrable" but hey, I learned a new word today instead.
I was. I just couldn't make the spelling look right.

Nate the Great 12-01-2006 01:34 PM

The best I can come up with is "excruciating," but ... uh, yeah, that's all I had to say here... :)

mudshark 12-01-2006 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability (Post 71404)
Heck, I never even knew that a word like "predicate" existed until Mr. Morton came along.

Never heard of him.

Tate 12-01-2006 11:37 PM

Mr. Morton? He's the subject of this sentence (and what the predicate says, he does).

Zeke 12-02-2006 02:51 AM

Hey, if I wrote a fiver that used everything mentioned in this thread, would it be Everybody-Gets-a-Trope Day?

Nate the Great 12-02-2006 04:54 AM

Oh yeah, Schoolhouse Rock is a classic.

Mr. Richardson 12-09-2006 10:58 PM

Good ol... GAK! *Falls over and dies from saying it.*