The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   5MV Talk (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   5MV Secret Handshake? (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1456)

Wowbagger 03-12-2008 05:26 AM

5MV Secret Handshake?

Or 5MN for those of you who are Nate. Point is: I wander the internets rather a lot, being enmeshed in many a Trek forum that is far afield of this gentle place. And, every once in a very long time, somebody quotes a fiver.

It's a long-standing tradition of mine to give a shout-out to fellow fiver-rememberers, as, [s]five[/s] [s]six[/s] seven years later, I'm still quoting these things at every possible opportunity, in the vain hope that one day they'll go viral and I'll get as much cred for my fiver references as for my ytmnd references. (And, let's be honest: FM "Vanishing Point" is a heckuva lot funnier than the nine thousandth "Epic Manuever" joke.)

But wouldn't it be easier if there were one well-known quote from a fiver that all fivists knew, and which itself made for an excellent and somewhat cryptic public reply to any fiver references? Something as ubiquitous as Marc's spoon or Porthos-as-Chili or the Tavern of Underused Characters, but generic enough to be quotable in most circumstances, like the site motto?

I don't know if there is such a thing, or whether such a killer quote could ever be found, or even whether this makes the slightest bit of sense, but I thought I'd post it anyway. Because, you know, why the heck not?

Nate the Great 03-12-2008 05:36 AM

Not 5MN, 5M.net! I don't make the nomenclature rules, I just obey and (attempt to) enforce them!

I suppose "Kablazmo" wouldn't do, would it?

I thought we already had that. "I attack you with the Hammer of Smiting at Ludicrous Speed!" or something like that.

Wowbagger 03-13-2008 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 76126)
I suppose "Kablazmo" wouldn't do, would it?

I thought we already had that. "I attack you with the Hammer of Smiting at Ludicrous Speed!" or something like that.

I quite like KABLAZMO! It only showed up once or twice, but, once read, you tend never to forget it.

If we do have a Hammer of Smiting/Ludicrous Speed thing going on, then I'm not aware of it. Love to know if we do, though.

As for 5M.net... I erred. Sorry. And here I was trying to be accomodating.

AKAArzosah 03-13-2008 06:11 AM

Hows about 'Death is for Redshirts'?
That and 'Soon.'

whoiam 03-13-2008 10:27 AM

How about... Any quote as the sign, and "That's the Charonian Dung Elephant of Quotes" as the countersign?

Celeste 03-13-2008 09:20 PM

If you rearrange the letters in Chakotay you get "Oak Yacht."

Of course the best 5mv recognizable quote would definatly be "Soon." ;)

Nate the Great 03-13-2008 11:02 PM

The Top 28 Signs You've Been Around 5MV Too Long

First off, this list was written before the 5M.net rename.

"#5: Whenver someone says they like chili, you say 'Grr, Arg, you dogeater, I'll get you with the Hammer of Crushing at Ludicrous Speed' --Opium"

I personally prefer Smiting to Crushing, but this is still a good line.

Also a good line:

#22: You are firmly convinced that you could take over the entire galaxy, if only you could find a cute-enough little monkey. --NAHTMMM

Oh, and from the intro (tweaked slightly):

"Woo-hoo, demon pickles!" --Celeste

PointyHairedJedi 03-14-2008 04:59 PM

I have my own secret handshake, but it's so secret that no-one else knows about it, and if I did tell you then I'd have to kill you (that almost wrote itself, you know?).

I don't know if there's anything for me that stands out in terms of a phrase, but it would be interesting to turn up at a convention with some item of clothing bearing the clock logo and see just how many people recognise it.

Nate the Great 03-14-2008 08:36 PM

Depends on the convention. For example, go to PAX and I'm sure not that many people will even notice it.

danieldoof 03-15-2008 10:27 AM

Well I do still have some accessories of 5MV laying around here ;)
Something to use in a supermarket cart in Europe or just keep hanging from your keychain.
But it is nothing anyone recognises unless you point it out ;)
And not many people here in Germany know us anyway.

Chancellor Valium 03-15-2008 02:51 PM

How about by leaving a trail of spambots? :p

mudshark 03-15-2008 04:10 PM

And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead Spa--... what do mean, we can't use that?

NAHTMMM 03-15-2008 06:03 PM

There's also the tricorder/spoon running joke.

And "enormous transwarp bowling ball of destiny" has always stuck firmly in my mind. Though usually with more capital letters.

mudshark 03-16-2008 04:19 PM

"Bite me."

Nate the Great 03-16-2008 09:06 PM

I wandered over to my old dusty disclaimers thread, wondering if any of those things might make for good codephrases. The best I could find is "Got Gak?" That'd look good on a shirt, right?

AKAArzosah 04-14-2008 05:31 AM

"Illogic makes baby Surak cry!"

And shouldn't GAK be in capitals?

Nate the Great 04-14-2008 07:50 AM

I guess so.

Nate the Great 04-30-2008 12:14 AM

Oh, I got it!

I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

PointyHairedJedi 04-30-2008 10:44 AM

Yes yes, but don't do that in Kira's presence. Or much else, for that matter.

Nate the Great 04-30-2008 01:49 PM

That was Kira's? Whoa.