The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   5MV Talk (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Zeke, I demand that I may or may not want answers! (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1217)

PointyHairedJedi 10-02-2006 05:09 PM

Zeke, I demand that I may or may not want answers!

First question. You said there was going to be an announcement regarding signed fivers, which there hasn't been, and given that I've paid actual cash money already I'm starting to get just a little annoyed.

Second question. For goodness' sake, why don't you get yourself another site manager? Or at least fill Marc's position - I know there's a nostalgia/friendship factor going on, but I think by now we can all acknowledge the fact that he isn't coming back in the near future.

Third question. Why is it that I can't remember what my third question is? In fact, why did I even bother typing this if I can't remember? Isn't that just a nonsensical paradox of my own creation?

ijdgaf 10-02-2006 07:26 PM

First question, I'm looking for a ten foot pole to not touch it with.

Second question, do remember that the staff positions were filled. And I do believe we're working on a solution for the "site manager" concept as well.

Third question: The answer is "creamed corn".

PointyHairedJedi 10-02-2006 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijdgaf (Post 70280)
Second question, do remember that the staff positions were filled. And I do believe we're working on a solution for the "site manager" concept as well.

Ooh! Is it a robot? I bet it's a robot.

Sa'ar Chasm 10-02-2006 09:48 PM

Quote:

Ooh! Is it a robot? I bet it's a robot.
With teeth like claws, and claws like marlinspikes. It actually mauled Scooter rather severely during testing. We're still picking bits of sheet metal out of his spleen.

mudshark 10-03-2006 12:44 AM

Look, that robot's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Nate the Great 10-03-2006 12:59 AM

Hey, kudos. If you can't come up with a clever response, it's always in good taste to resort to a Monty Python/Princess Bride/Spaceballs quote.

Sa'ar Chasm 10-03-2006 02:31 AM

Curses! He's discovered one of my Core Principles of Fiving.

Nate the Great 10-03-2006 03:29 AM

I think that's one of everyone's Core Principles of Fiving. I think we all resort to our own tactics while fiving that may or may not be considered funny by anyone else. Here's a short selection of mine:

1. The always appropriate Guy A: This is not the time for sarcasm. Guy B: It's always time for sarcasm!
2. The infinitely malleable "I'm a ________, it's what I do."
3. The broader "that sounds like a good idea, too bad it'll never work."
4. Jadzia and slang. Always a personal favorite.
5. Julian's blatant egotism. Ditto.
6. The more subtle 2293/2305 bloodwine and fat-free gagh joke. Does anyone else really find this amusing?

mudshark 10-03-2006 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability (Post 70289)
Hey, kudos. If you can't come up with a clever response, it's always in good taste to resort to a Monty Python/Princess Bride/Spaceballs quote.

Inconceivable!

Scooter 10-03-2006 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability (Post 70292)
I think that's one of everyone's Core Principles of Fiving. I think we all resort to our own tactics while fiving that may or may not be considered funny by anyone else. Here's a short selection of mine:

1. The always appropriate Guy A: This is not the time for sarcasm. Guy B: It's always time for sarcasm!
2. The infinitely malleable "I'm a ________, it's what I do."
3. The broader "that sounds like a good idea, too bad it'll never work."
4. Jadzia and slang. Always a personal favorite.
5. Julian's blatant egotism. Ditto.
6. The more subtle 2293/2305 bloodwine and fat-free gagh joke. Does anyone else really find this amusing?

I thought there was also one about there always being coffee in that nebula. Could be wrong.

Anyway you're forgetting:
7. Always make references that are so obscure that, even if they're not incredibly brilliant or even particularly apt, whoever gets them will feel especially smug about themselves for noticing them at all.
8. And there's always my fallback: Person A: I thought we were doing [Sensible thing]. Person B: Moron, that would mean we couldn't do [Stupid thing]! Person A: My mistake.

Zeke 10-03-2006 06:56 PM

I'm sorry about the signed fiver thing, Jedi. I do have an explanation of sorts, but it sucks, so I'll spare you. I'm working on them now and I'll post here when they're sent out.

I'm not really in the market for a new site manager. The dearth of updates isn't so much because I'm busy as because I'm having trouble focusing lately. Having someone else run the site would be (a) no less work (Kira learned the new site features as I programmed them; anyone else would need extensive explanations, and would be unable to do anything about the guest fiver backlog without my help anyway) and (b) risky on my end, as having someone else to make updates would make it even easier for me to slack off.

Marc is never being replaced. That door is <i>always</i> open if he wants to come back.

PointyHairedJedi 10-03-2006 11:04 PM

No robot? :(

Zeke 10-04-2006 12:29 AM

Nah. Whenever it did something to help, I'd have to say "domo arigato."

Nate the Great 10-04-2006 12:54 AM

That was a list of MY fiving techniques. It's hardly conclusive. Coffee in the nebula is a classic "fiving in general" technique. No doubt if I ever had the honor of fiving a Voyager ep--

Eddie: Hi, I'm Eddie your shipboard computer! I'm here to make your life more and more bearable! What can I do for you?
Nate: I need--
Eddie: An improbability forecast?
Nate: Based on improbability data, yeah.
Eddie: Sure! Did you know that the odds of a Voyager episode being unsaved is negative infinity minus one to one against?
Nate: Yeah, I knew that.

Ahem. Anyway, if I did five Voyager the coffee in nebula joke would be a given if at all possible. There are any number of "fiving in general" techniques. That would really be the topic of another thread.

Anyway, rule seven is something I try to do whenever possible. I still reread older fivers and find stuff that falls into that category that I hadn't noticed the first time.

evay 10-04-2006 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 70311)

thanks for the earworm, Z.

mudshark 10-04-2006 02:12 AM

Quote:

Argh. Will that be "pelted with overripe seafood", sir?

PointyHairedJedi 10-04-2006 12:03 PM

Quote:

You really took that obscure references thing to heart, eh?

Chancellor Valium 11-04-2006 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm (Post 70291)
Curses! He's discovered one of my Core Principles of Fiving.

Prophet #1: It is pacific.
Prophet#2: Sociable.
Prophet #3: It must be destroyed!

Nate the Great 11-04-2006 02:11 PM

Hey, obscure references are our bread and butter around here. Maybe it's just showing off how clever we are, narcissism in the joy of knowing a joke that goes over everybody else's heads.

mudshark 11-04-2006 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium (Post 70886)
Prophet #1: It is pacific.
Prophet#2: Sociable.
Prophet #3: It must be destroyed!

Unmutual!