The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   It's a textbook case (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=985)

Lostoyannaya 02-17-2006 07:22 PM

Laugh Out Loud and a Half! What a comeback. What a tragedy. What a vice-president. :roll:

~~Lostoyannaya

e of pi 02-17-2006 07:27 PM

Hey, at least you don't have to live with his riegn of terror. No, wait, we did that already. Hmmmm....name sugestions?

whoiam 02-17-2006 07:28 PM

It doesn't need to be named. We all know what you mean anyway.

e of pi 02-17-2006 07:34 PM

But the history students of the future won't. How about "Administration of horror"?

Lostoyannaya 02-17-2006 07:40 PM

As a student of history, I say it is totally irrelevant about names. That being said, I am merely bitter about being made to memorize various Italian names, such as...Partito Nazionale Fascista.

What about "Pointless Throning of Administrative Errors"?

~~Lostoyannaya

Chancellor Valium 02-17-2006 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
Quote:

How can you defile it with that...sais name...
I'm Gaelic, not Cymric. Any language that uses a w as a vowel and requires half a pint of phlegm to pronounce the placenames (thank you, Blackadder) isn't worth the trouble of learning how to spell correctly.

Nonsense. For that you are to be chucked to the Swydd'far of Llainfairpwthgwyngeth :twisted:

MmeBlueberry 02-17-2006 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e of pi
I once handed in this essay for an assignment to write about our impact on the enviroment:
Quote:

Rob Davidoff
Mr. Gillum
Period 7 Biology
10 November 2005

The Relationship between Man and Nature in the United States

The first thing I noticed was that you actually seem to know how to head your paper in proper MLA format. I am such a teacher. :p

Okay, something else to add to the thread...um...another conversation with a student (same initial, but a different kid). (Sorry, most of my stuff is verbal communication rather than written.)

Students were working on skits. C came up to me and said, "Okay, this is going to be a weird question, but which way is west in this room?"

Me: (not wanting to take the time to figure out when the sun is where) "I have no idea, sorry."

C: "Oh, that's okay. Wait - do you know which way is north?"

Chancellor Valium 02-17-2006 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostoyannaya
As a student of history, I say it is totally irrelevant about names.

McClick ;)

e of pi 02-17-2006 11:17 PM

Yes, at my school we were tought MLA and standard essay format back in fourth grade. I've been doing it since, off and on.

KillerGodMan 02-18-2006 06:59 AM

My system is similar

I'm in the Canadian Catholic School system (that does NOT mean I'm Catholic!), and it's different in some instances, but it's pretty much the same as every other North American system

example:

Quote:

Drama Assignment #3

Actor's Biography

Kyle Beckett
Mr. M Harman
ADA 3O
October ??, 2005
I could explain it better if you want, but that's the basic idea.

Chancellor Valium 02-18-2006 12:53 PM

What is MLA? I've never heard of it.

Lostoyannaya 02-18-2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostoyannaya
As a student of history, I say it is totally irrelevant about names.

McClick ;)

Well, that shut me up.

In our backward little English school, we do not use any heading. We hand in the piece of work and spend half of the next lesson helping the teacher figure out who's is who's. :D (Mine's always the one with the doodles).

But...yeah...what is MLA heading? *Is curious*

~~Lostoyannaya

MmeBlueberry 02-18-2006 02:34 PM

Modern Language Association. It's one of two organizations that has established standards for formatting written work (among other things). The other is APA, American Psychological Association, which I *think* is used mainly for graduate work and beyond - MLA is used, in the US at least, as the standard for everything up to that point. (It's possible that there are certain fields of undergraduate work that require the use of APA rather than MLA, but the division I've experienced is what I've posted. Also, it sometimes depends on one's professors as to which format is expected.)

APA includes "American" in its title, so I'm assuming its use is restricted to the US. And since those of you who aren't from the US are indicating a lack of familiarity with MLA, I'm guessing the same about it.

Sa'ar Chasm 02-18-2006 02:57 PM

In science, we tend to write research papers and not essays, and the standards we follow vary from journal to journal. The American Chemical Society has a template, the Royal Society of Chemistry has a different template, and Elsevier has a third.

Chancellor Valium 02-18-2006 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MmeBlueberry
Modern Language Association. It's one of two organizations that has established standards for formatting written work (among other things). The other is APA, American Psychological Association, which I *think* is used mainly for graduate work and beyond - MLA is used, in the US at least, as the standard for everything up to that point. (It's possible that there are certain fields of undergraduate work that require the use of APA rather than MLA, but the division I've experienced is what I've posted. Also, it sometimes depends on one's professors as to which format is expected.)

APA includes "American" in its title, so I'm assuming its use is restricted to the US. And since those of you who aren't from the US are indicating a lack of familiarity with MLA, I'm guessing the same about it.

Interesting :)

e of pi 02-18-2006 04:45 PM

The title specifically involves:

Student Name
Mr./Mrs./Ms Teacher'slastname
Class
Date of writting. (or is it due date? Don't remember.)

Chancellor Valium 02-18-2006 04:51 PM

Quote:

The title specifically involves:

Student Name
Mr./Mrs./Ms Teacher'slastname
Class
Date of writting. (or is it due date? Don't remember.)

That would've been a bugger for me when I was at school. I almost *never* handed things in on time...

e of pi 02-18-2006 04:59 PM

So? You could lie. I don't, but you could, scum.

Chancellor Valium 02-18-2006 05:02 PM

Quote:

So? You could lie. I don't, but you could, scum.

What a lovely way of appellating people. I see that Borg diplomacy is up to it's usual standard ;)

I could, but that would have required effort.

e of pi 02-18-2006 05:03 PM

Not really. Just put a different date.