The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   5MV Talk (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   On the road again (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1063)

Derek 05-10-2006 04:22 PM

I voted "yes" and I'm certainly willing to chip in. Granted it sounds like I don't really need to since everyone else has already volunteered more than enough, but if we decide to split the cost evenly among all those willing (or something like that), then I'm willing to take a share.

Chancellor Valium 05-10-2006 06:42 PM

I'll chip in, but I'm a little skint at the moment...I also don't trust online stuff. Would an envelope and address do?

Will Triganic Pu do?

PointyHairedJedi 05-10-2006 06:49 PM

In that case, Valium, it might be simpler to have me pay your contribution by PayPal and then send me a cheque, else you'd have to send Zeke a money order of some sort.

Of course, it could just be a fiendish plot by myself to learn your true indentity... :twisted:

Chancellor Valium 05-10-2006 07:07 PM

What makes you think you could identify me?

And I could always convert some Sterling into Canadian Dollars at the Post Office, put them in an envelope, and send it 'Par Avion'...

Sa'ar Chasm 05-10-2006 07:24 PM

Quote:

And I could always convert some Sterling into Canadian Dollars at the Post Office
Or some pence into Canadian dollars...

I can chip in a bit. Might as well do something useful with it while I've still got it.

PointyHairedJedi 05-10-2006 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium
And I could always convert some Sterling into Canadian Dollars at the Post Office, put them in an envelope, and send it 'Par Avion'...

So you don't trust "online stuff", but you're perfectly willing to send envelopes containing wads of money through the postal system? Oh, you're a funny chap sometimes Valium, you really are. :D

AntonyF 05-12-2006 11:35 AM

Hi everyone,

As I've said to Zeke "No phpBB on the new server", I thought I'd pop in and give a bit of info.

Zeke has explained why I'm anti phpBB, so don't need to go over that. But I am very pro-vBulletin for many reasons.
  • It's a very good system, adaptable and offers a lot.
    Updates are pretty easy for the system.
    They update a lot to fix holes, and sometimes not even their holes. They issued a patch recentlly to counter a problem with IE.
    I have started to use vBulletin and, also as Zeke says, want to use it more and more. I can more easily manage the server if we're on systems I know and I can even help in keeping vBulletin up to date.
    vBulletin allows import from phpBB.
You seem to have some very dedicated and helpful people here Zeke, so if you guys can help then that's very kind and I do recommend vBulletin.

If you need any help in terms of collecting money, Christian or I should be able to help. Otherwise my help will be technical, and I'll do whatever I can to make the process go more smoothly.

Antony

PointyHairedJedi 05-12-2006 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntonyF
You seem to have some very dedicated and helpful people here Zeke...

I'm especially super. :D

Zeke 05-13-2006 09:27 PM

Wow. You guys are really something.

I've decided to go with vBulletin for simplicity's sake and because Antony will be able to help with it. We have more than enough contributors now, and I've contacted them to organize the payment. The server change is happening on Monday; it shouldn't take long to get the vBulletin running, but don't panic if the forum is down for a day or two.

ijdgaf 05-13-2006 11:32 PM

Question:

Will all the current posts disappear?

Zeke 05-13-2006 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijdgaf
Will all the current posts disappear?

No. Everything in the database should be importable, except mod-based things like country flags, member titles, and such.

Gatac 05-14-2006 06:06 AM

Oh yeah...so a round of new member titles for everyone, then? :)

Gatac

Ginga 05-14-2006 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatac
Oh yeah...so a round of new member titles for everyone, then? :)

Gatac

Hopefully not after waiting for almost a year. :(

ijdgaf 05-16-2006 11:20 PM

Hooray, I do love a set of fora with a substantial quantity of archives to peruse.

Seriously. Damn useful.

mark726 05-18-2006 07:12 AM

I can pitch in a few bucks, but not much, unfortunately. Curse me being a poor college student.

PointyHairedJedi 05-19-2006 12:45 PM

Sell a kidney or something, you hippy. :P

Chancellor Valium 05-19-2006 02:10 PM

Some of us aren't made of kidneys - just 'cause you've got seven...Ruddy freak accidents during regeneration...

:P

PointyHairedJedi 05-22-2006 12:44 PM

Next you'll be telling me that you don't have five hearts either (which is sorta funny anyhow, because people are always telling me I'm all heart).

Zeke 05-22-2006 03:28 PM

Ladies and gents, I have purchased a vBulletin license. Many thanks to all who contributed; you'll be hearing from me about how the distribution shook out.

Chancellor Valium 05-25-2006 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
Next you'll be telling me that you don't have five hearts either (which is sorta funny anyhow, because people are always telling me I'm all heart).

Just the two, thank ye.

Zeke: Is there somewhere I can send you some money?