The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Firefly - They took the sky from me! WAH! (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82)

PointyHairedJedi 04-26-2004 10:44 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Anybody in here a fan of this show? I know Zeke is, and hopefully KJ soon will be. Come on, I know there must be some more Browncoats in here somewhere.[/color:post_uid0]

Derek 04-26-2004 12:41 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]I, er, uh, found a copy of the pilot ("Serenity"), but it didn't grip me and make me fall down and worship it as the best sci-fi, the best western, and the best show ever like it seems to have made over half of TrekBBS's SF/F forum. It was okay, but it didn't make me want to run out and purchase the DVDs.

Not that I'm opposed to seeing more of the show, but I fork over enough money for shows I [i:post_uid0]have[/i:post_uid0] seen and I don't feel the need to buy shows I haven't.

I'll probably see the movie though.[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke 04-26-2004 03:20 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]PHJ, lemme just say I love your subtitle for this thread.

[i:post_uid0]Firefly[/i:post_uid0] was a good show from what I saw. It deserved a chance to find its niche, but how many shows get that chance nowadays? [i:post_uid0]Wonderfalls[/i:post_uid0] didn't even get four episodes. FOX may be the worst offender when it comes to not giving shows a fair shake -- except reality shows, of course.

Derek... "best Western." GROAN.[/color:post_uid0]

Katy Jane 04-26-2004 05:41 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Well my first round of Netficks dvd's came, and the first Firefly disk was among them. And i enjoyed it, a lot, and coincidently so did my brother. :p I find it terribly ironic considering it was his universal decision of "this show's strange we aren’t gonna watch it." that prevented me from watching it the first time around.

More disks will be foruth comming soon, intermixed with TOS and TNG :D[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina 04-26-2004 09:35 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]They have been broadcasting it here recently, so I've seen a couple of episodes. I can't say I like it as much as I do most sci-fi shows, though. But I'm just getting to know the character and, come to think of it, I felt the same for Farscape at first, and now I love that show. :)[/color:post_uid0]

Katy Jane 04-27-2004 02:25 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Apparently my brother realy likes firefly. I already found a folder of screen caps that he downloaded. :p (<-- heehee he's funny)

I almost broke down and bought the dvd's on saterday, but it turns out we arn't selling them at work anymore, so if i want them i'm going to have to find them somewhere else... we'll see.

Edit: :O Walmart.com is out of stock, and that's the only place i know of that i can get it online without a credit card. :([/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi 04-27-2004 11:31 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Well, Derek and cat, [i:post_uid0]Firefly[/i:post_uid0] is one of those shows that you really have to let grow on you. I wasn't terribly fond of it at first either, but it seems to be that once people have watched a certain number of episodes, they start to like it more and more. Watching it in the intended order (not the order that those idiots at Fox insisted that it be shown in) definitely helps too - there are lots of little nuances and small details that run through that you just wouldn't get. Part of the fun of watching [i:post_uid0]Firefly[/i:post_uid0] actually is seeing it multiple times to try and pick up on all those little details.

EDIT: Completely unrelated, but I made this from the DVDs. If anyone has a particular hankering for a [i:post_uid0]Firefly[/i:post_uid0] av, I'll be more than happy to make 'em.[/color:post_uid0]

Draknek 06-24-2005 12:20 AM

I'm considering buying the DVD for Firefly, which is novel, as I never buy DVDs.

Is it worth it? I see it on Amazon for £27, or £22 used.

Normally, I'd just download it, but I figure that since there's only the one DVD, if I'm going to watch it, I might as well watch it legally.

PointyHairedJedi 06-25-2005 10:36 PM

Good heavens, yes. Even if you don't particularly like the characters or the stories (in which case you're a heathen philistine! :P ), there's still a lot to appreciate just in the telling of ths story itself. And if you really don't like it, I'm sure you'll have no difficulty selling it on eBay or some such.