The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Who (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1043)

Blendorbuss 04-09-2006 08:26 PM

The Who

Wel first off im a new member here. Though i ve visited the site before.

This is a thread about my favorite band of all time (coincidentally the greatest live act of all time): THE WHO. hahahaha

Lostoyannaya 04-10-2006 07:37 AM

Welcome to the insanity!

My dad plays Who albums all the time in the backroom of our house (loud enough for the front room to hear them...) and I have to agree they're a good band! Although I've never seen them live.

I think I'm hooked on "What Have You Done Today" by the M-People right now...

~~Lostoyannaya :wink:

Chancellor Valium 04-10-2006 06:58 PM

The Who?

Blendorbuss 04-10-2006 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium
The Who?

:head explodes:

Chancellor Valium 04-11-2006 01:31 PM

Yes! Third one this month :D

Xeroc 04-12-2006 05:35 AM

Quote:

Yes! Third one this month :D

Valium, don't you need a licence to do that kind of thing around here? ;)

Oh, and welcome to the fora, Blendorbuss! :D

Zeke 04-12-2006 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blendorbuss
Quote:

The Who?

You don't know the half of it. During the April Fool's event he kept sending me PMs asking "Who are you?" with the emphasis in different places.

My only Who album is Who's Next, but I love it. "Behind Blue Eyes" is the original emo song (and fun to play on guitar). I've made at least one reference to that album.

KillerGodMan 04-12-2006 11:44 AM

Guitar?

*digs out Bass guitar*

Any drummer, keyboardist, or singer availible?

Gatac 04-12-2006 05:52 PM

Am I going to be hated on if I say that I don't like the original "Behind Blue Eyes"?

I like what people who cover it do with it. (Yes, to a certain degree, I even like the Limp Bizkit cover, and would like it much more even if it didn't have that stupid electronic thing in the middle of it.) Because you know where it fucks up? After the second verse. Because then it rocks out, and that totally doesn't work.

Everything before that gets sung by other people because it's good and powerful, but the rest you can dropkick into the next trashcan without feeling remorse.

Gatac

Chancellor Valium 04-12-2006 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blendorbuss
Quote:

The Who?

You don't know the half of it. During the April Fool's event he kept sending me PMs asking "Who are you?" with the emphasis in different places.

You didn't get the reference! What else was I to do?

Zeke 04-12-2006 08:38 PM

Unless you were getting your Kosh on, I still don't get the reference.

Chancellor Valium 04-16-2006 05:22 PM

Kai Opaka visions ;)

Zeke 04-17-2006 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatac
Because you know where it fucks up? After the second verse. Because then it rocks out, and that totally doesn't work. Everything before that gets sung by other people because it's good and powerful, but the rest you can dropkick into the next trashcan without feeling remorse.

I beg to differ (civilly). I wouldn't like "Behind Blue Eyes" half as much without the bridge -- it's what gives the song character. The first two verses are good, but they're good at something lots of songs are good at: whining. For someone who loves passionately, that's only half the story. You turn inward, yes, but you also lash outward. "Behind Blue Eyes" gives equal coverage to both.

(The Barenaked Ladies song "Call and Answer" uses a similar idea, but it's even more bipolar. Nearly the whole song is conciliatory, but the coda is threatening. Worth a listen.)

By the way, while I had a passing familiarity with "Behind Blue Eyes" before, I didn't really get into it until I heard Giles sing it on Buffy. Too bad we didn't hear him do the whole thing.

Gatac 04-17-2006 05:09 AM

Maybe I have a different idea of what the song should be like, then. It just doesn't work for me; it feels like two songs smashed together, and they don't manage to pull it off right.

Gatac

catalina_marina 04-17-2006 12:52 PM

Quote:

I didn't really get into it until I heard Giles sing it on Buffy. Too bad we didn't hear him do the whole thing.

Now I'm confused. When was this?

Chancellor Valium 04-17-2006 01:31 PM

When is anything to do with Zeke?
Soon ;)

Zeke 04-21-2006 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catalina_marina
Quote:

I didn't really get into it until I heard Giles sing it on Buffy. Too bad we didn't hear him do the whole thing.

Now I'm confused. When was this?

In the episode "Where The Wild Things Are" -- and if you skipped that one, I don't blame you a bit. The plot revolves around Buffy and Riley powering a haunted house with sex. The only parts worth watching are Giles's guitar scene and the scene where Spike accidentally talks himself out of saving the day. ("I know I'm not the first choice for heroics. And Buffy's tried to kill me more than once. And I don't fancy a single one of you at all. But..." (pauses) "Actually, all that sounds pretty convincing. I wonder if Danger Mouse is on.")

Gatac: Fair enough. I guess this'll be one of those Equilibrium things for us.

catalina_marina 10-30-2006 01:49 PM

For the record, I don't think I ever missed a singel Buffy episode.

Zeke 10-30-2006 05:08 PM

You mean you didn't think you had missed one, right? Because the existence of this episode is, alas, well-documented. :)

catalina_marina 10-30-2006 08:10 PM

I looked it up, and I definitely saw that episode. Now what do you mean by the previous post?