The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   News (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   June 24: Tenth Anniversary Week begins! (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1565)

Zeke 06-25-2010 04:03 AM

June 24: Tenth Anniversary Week begins!

Ladies, gentlemen, zombies, aliens, vampires, and robots... this site is now ten years old.

Okay, technically we turned 10 earlier this month, but I've long since lost track of the exact date. We used June 24 for the second-anniversary event, so I figured we'd use it for this one too. The important thing is, back in June 2000 (whoa), or roughly ten years ago (yikes), when I was ten years younger (not <i>really</i>, right?), I created a little something called Five-Minute Voyager. We've had our ups and downs, but most sites don't last nearly this long.

Naturally, that calls for a celebration. We're taking this one a bit slower than past events -- it'll be just one item most days, not an orgy of content like AU Week or something. But that content will be worthy of the occasion, with plenty of new material from me (including some that's long-awaited), and more from the staff and other contributors. What's more, by the time the event is over, things will look quite a bit different around here. I call it all <b>Tenth Anniversary Week</b>.

What, no theme? <i>Ten</i> is the theme. The word ten, the number 10, the numeral X, whatever. All of the "week"'s content fits this theme in some way. Mostly. I mean, sorta. Occasionally it requires some... well, you'll see.

Now let's get to the opening round!
<ul><li>It wouldn't be an anniversary event without a panel discussion, so we staffers have come together for the first new one in four years! But how many of us will come out alive... from <a href="../features/tenlittlecomedians1.php"><b>Ten Little Comedians</b></a>?
<li>Today we've also got <a href="../features/livelongandoops.php"><b>Live Long and Oops</b></a>, a short <i>Trek <b>X</b>I</i>-related piece I wrote a while ago which now finds its proper home at 5M.net.</ul>
Be here tomorrow when the celebration conTENues!

...Sorry, I won't do that again.

Derek 06-25-2010 11:10 AM

Heh. I like that Live Long and Oops piece, Zeke. Did you originally publish it somewhere else?

Nate the Great 06-25-2010 11:49 AM

Stop making me feel old, Z.

As an official part of this event, I'd like to repost the link to the Angelfire version of the site:

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/fiveminute/episodes.html

The copyright thingy says 2000-2001, so I think it's applicable.

evay 06-25-2010 11:58 AM

Ten years? Congratulations! And here's to ten more! 8) I can't believe we've all been hanging around doing this for a <i>decade.</i>

Sa'ar Chasm 06-25-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Heh. I like that Live Long and Oops piece, Zeke. Did you originally publish it somewhere else?
I know I've read it before somewhere.

I wanted to make a "here, have this dagger" comment when I read the bit about the kid being stabbed, but there was nobody around.

NAHTMMM 06-25-2010 08:48 PM

Got a big kick out of "Live Long and Oops" (which I think I noticed too late on your LJ to comment on). Between that and the TJI short with Archer accidentally destroying the Whatsit Expanse, you've got quite a knack for finding explanations for continuity stuff. :)

Really enjoyed "Ten Little Comedians" too, although there aren't any bits that particularly stick out there, either.

Tate 06-25-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Derek: How bad can it be? According to the fine print, we'll solve world hunger or something just by attending.

IJD: In those exact words. "World hunger or something." It doesn't exactly flood the mind with confidence.
Hehehe.

Sa'ar Chasm 06-26-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Zeke: As soon as I think of a less important subsite than Babylon 5, I'm making you head of it.
I get two subsites? Awesome!

Quote:

Sa'ar: I do a good "New York, New York."

Zeke: Please don't.
I do know more than just that one Sinatra song.

Like, um, that other Sinatra song.

Quote:

Sa'ar: Oh really? Merchant of Venice, Act 3, Scene 2. Go!

Kriegsgräber: "I pray you, tarry: pause a day or two before you hazard..."

(Sa'ar takes off his pin and puts it back in his pocket.)
*snigger*

Quote:

(Scooter has just pulled up, riding a... a sc... I refuse to narrate this.)
This was far too funny the first time I read it.

Quote:

Sa'ar: Comes in handy being Canadian, eh?
I do actually say eh. I think I started it to screw with some American's head, and got stuck.

Interesting. I wonder where all this is going.

Derek 06-26-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Derek: I don't know why we're not getting a wide berth! Can't they see my "Baby On Board" sign?
Come on, the alternative is my "Adults only. Ram at will." sign.

Quote:

Zeke: Yeah, but it doesn't exactly flood the ocean with petroleum either, unlike some countries.
I can't believe they did that next to MY FLORIDA! DOT-COM!

Quote:

Derek: I'm with them in spirit, but marriage has trained my body out of it.
Untrue! The spirit was willing AND the flesh was weak.

Great first part, Zeke.

FatMatDuhRat 06-26-2010 08:33 PM

Has it really been TEN YEARS since I stumbled into this website after originally finding it through VVS8? *shakes head slowly* Time sure does move along quickly & slowly simultaneously. Anyway, congratulations on the anniversary, I raise my glass to you in hopes of ten more years of wonderful Fivers!

Grayvorn 06-27-2010 12:29 AM

Ten years, woo!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's to many more (especially if anyone does more Doctor Who fivers :D )

Chris.

Wowbagger 06-27-2010 06:49 AM

Got the email, let my jaw hang for a bit, popped in for a visit. Congratulations, sirs.

I'll save the panel discussion for a rainy day. Those never fail to rock my world.

Andy Taylor 06-27-2010 08:15 AM

Just found the e-mail and thought omgz 10 years??!? Can't believe it. It all goes so fast these days.

Loving the new content anyway. I still have you bookmarked and frequently check out the place.

PointyHairedJedi 06-27-2010 10:59 AM

IT'S A DAMN LIE!

Well, okay, it's only something like eight and a half years for me personally. But still. In internet years that makes the site about fifty.

I'll have some ice-cream to celebrate, I think (or at least I will after lunch). That way I won't have to go looking for my false teeth.

Celeste 06-27-2010 12:40 PM

Wow. Ten years. Congrats Zeke. Thanks for the personal email! ;) I can't believe it's been that long since I stumbled upon this site. Also.. how much has changed since then. I feel like we've grown up together. ::tear::

Now let's see what happens in the next 10 years. :)

Vedra 06-30-2010 03:56 AM

Congrats on ten years! I looked at the link provided for the old (original?) site and wow, it looks totally...exactly the same! Such consistency is to be commended.