The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Teh Strike!!1 (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1434)

ijdgaf 11-21-2007 07:41 AM

Teh Strike!!1

Well, damnit.

There are only two shows on TV I watch anymore. "The Office" and "Battlestar Galactica". The last episode of the former aired last week, and it looks like the latter only has half of the next season done, with a showrunner willing to put the remainder on the line re: the strike (or as I affectionately call it, Teh Strike!!1).

I'm a writer. And I don't say that just because I've written a few parodies here. I mean, I'm in a two year MFA program working on two novels, sending out stories to editors, and all that fun stuff. So I get this. Not geting many/any royalties for internet downloads when television ratings are on a decline and iTunes sales are skyrocketting? That's a pretty rough break. My feelings (or lack thereof) toward strikes/unions aside, I can definitely understand the importance of this issue. It's worth getting up in arms about. And the studios, laying off staffs (SNL, The Office, BSG)... what the hell, studios? Haven't twirled your mustaches around enough lately? Feeling insecure about lack of body hair/genitalia of macroscopic proportions? The whole situation is inane. I understand why producers like Moore would take such an extreme gamble, I really do. One party tries to piss further than the next, and pretty soon they've got urine on Neptune.

I'm sorry, my metaphors really are all over the place.

Just... gah. This is really hitting home. I want my goddamned happy ending already. A kiss and make up. Some evidence that the studio heads aren't wearing monocles, twirling in chairs up in their lofty towers. Petting cats, hiding their faces in the shadows... I'll stop.

I'm just selfish, really. I want my shows back. I want to justify the $118 I pay on cable/internet/phone each month. And I want a FREAKING resolution to BSG after four years of promise and studio mandated stand-alones.

Apologies. I really needed somewhere to rant.

PointyHairedJedi 11-25-2007 10:38 PM

Will somebody please think of the children?

Celeste 11-27-2007 12:31 AM

Ugh, don't get me started on this stupid strike. I'm only getting half a season of Heroes because of this and they canceled the cool spin off series of Heroes because of it as well!

Not happy. >_<

Chancellor Valium 11-27-2007 04:12 PM

...The whowhatnow?

PointyHairedJedi 11-27-2007 08:46 PM

Spin-off of Heroes? This is the first I've heard of it! But then, entertainment wise, I do live under a rock.

Celeste 11-29-2007 10:49 PM

It was going to be called Heroes: Origins. 6 episodes, each about a different character. And then there was going to be a vote on which character was supposed to be made a series regular. There was supposed to be a bunch of famous directors directing the episodes too. :/ SIGH.

LtFielding 11-30-2007 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijdgaf (Post 75356)
I'm just selfish, really. I want my shows back. I want to justify the $118 I pay on cable/internet/phone each month. And I want a FREAKING resolution to BSG after four years of promise and studio mandated stand-alones.

According to the commercials after Battlestar Galactica Razor the unrated and uncut version hints at what happens to the human race. (Logically in the end the humans will find Earth?)

Wowbagger 11-30-2007 10:57 PM

I've read a good bit, and, you know, I'm a big time big business Republican... but I think the WGA is right. The studios are being greedy and downright nasty. I hate the fact that all scripts have frozen (did anyone else read about the line JJ Abrams couldn't put into Star Trek because of the strike?), I hate the fact that Heroes, Galactica, and now Lost are all getting damaged by it... but I'd absolutely be out there on the picket lines if I were in the WGA.

Here's hoping the studios come to their senses soon... before the Galactica finale gets turned into "Shades of Grey" redux. *shudder*